1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Hi , I'm Jon

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jonman_t, Jan 9, 2013.

1. jonman_t

jonman_t Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2013
    Male
    Road Painter
    close to Toronto , Canada
    Hi all.

My name is Jon and I have taken an interest in developing android apps for my phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy s3 which I love alot. I made it a mission to learn how to app dev while I am off work for the winter.

My progress so far is not all that much but I am inching in the right direction. I started off downloading The Android SDK and eclipse. Ran through a Couple of lessons from their site. Basically if you're not familiar with it , well I made a textbox and a button. Once the button is pushed , a new window will open displaying my text a lot larger. Ya , that's it , but hey I'm learning. I was also impressed that I connected my phone to eclipse and i can run the program like that. I also taught myself to root my phone. And I downloaded an app on my phone so I can dev on the go.

Basically I want to become serious and proficient in android app dev. I know enough about computers to get by like assembly them and i can set up a basic web server/site but programming and code are fairly new to me. I used to program in basic like 20 years ago?!?!? Yeah.

Had a couple of questions too. Is the tutorial lessons on the android forum the best way to go for beginners because I feel like its all over the place. For example I built the same app twice from scratch using this tutorial just to get familiar and I still don't know what Language I am writing code in. I suspect java and xml if xml is even a language? Not sure.

Well , that should explain what level I am at. I was hoping that being part of a community would greatly shorten the learning curve , so I look forward to doing a lot of reading and writing here.

Thanks for reading.

Advertisement

2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    Welcome to the forums, Jon! :wavey:
    I tried to get motivated myself to do some development but I'm not very proficient with computers and Java more importantly. Looks like you're having a great time doing it. :)
    We have a forum for App Development where you can get any support or tips you need:
    Application Development - Android Forums
    Enjoy the site, cheers!