• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hi, I'm new

Hey,

Just joined the forum so I figured I'd follow good forum etiquette and say hello in the introductions section.

I'm an EMT from upstate NY and I have a DroidX on, unfortunately, Verizon. I am here to hopefully learn how to backup my phone, then root it, to freeze and/or delete some of the stock apps that came with the phone and some of the junk Verizon keeps forcing on its users. I have a year to go on my contract so changing carriers isn't currently an option for me.

At any rate, I'm here to learn. I want to get rid of some of the junk on my phone, which will make me a much happier camper, but as I've never done this before, I need help. So I'm gonna start checking some of the sections to find instructions.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums. Thanks for taking the time to say hello. It sounds like you are interested in rooting your phone. With root you can rid yourself of some of the bloatware and achieve a complete backup. This is a link to the root section for your Droid X. Droid X - All Things Root - Android Forums You will want to read up before attempting root. Remember, take time to understand the process and proceed carefully. Have fun and thanks for joining the community.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks so much for the nice (and super fast!) welcome. I figured I would join a forum so if things ever went south, I'd have a place to ask for help.

I've had my DroidX since last February and really like it, it just bothers me that there is so much useless stuff included with it ... like Blockbuster video, Amazon MP3s, etc. that I will never, ever use, and now Verizon is pushing its stupid backup thing, too.

I did read some about rooting and ended up using the RootzWiki "[Guide] Root or Unroot your Droid X", which has really simple instructions. I was worried about doing it because I didn't want to brick my phone and the thread looked like some users had issues, but it seemed that most users with issues had done other stuff to their phones previously while I haven't, so I figured I'd give it a try.

IT WORKED! :D No issues at all and I'm now rooted.

So my next step will be Titanium Backup so I can back up my apps and stuff. Backup is good. I believe in backing stuff up ... not just my phone but also my computer. (I know significantly more about computers than phones, TBH.)

What is a good app to manage apps after rooting your phone? I am looking for something that will help me uninstall some of the stock apps and freeze ones that can't / shouldn't be uninstalled.

Also, is there a list of what is safe to just uninstall and what is better frozen?

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums. You will want to check out the area we have for your phone for the best information/support. Click on your device/carrier from the list below.
Samsung Galaxy S2 (AT&T) - Android Forums (For AT&T)
Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile) - Android Forums (For T-Mobile)
Samsung Epic 4G Touch - Android Forums (For Sprint)
Samsung Galaxy S2 (International) - Android Forums (For International)
Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket - Android Forums
Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket HD - Android Forums

Upvote 0
Have fun. Don't be in any rush. Take your time, understand each procedure, and proceed with caution. Most root errors are caused by charging into it when there is no prize for being the quickest to root.

Definitely!

I ended up following instructions from RootzWiki for a one-click root and was able to do that without any issues. I am now officially rooted. :D

Also got Titanium Backup. I've researched it for a while and everyone seems to have nice things to say about it. I'm very happy with how easy it is to use to back up things and also to freeze and delete apps. I deleted a couple that were absolutely unnecessary (like Madden) and froze a long list of others that I do not use and found listed on several websites as "safe" to freeze.

I rebooted after, and have had no issues and phone seems to be running much faster.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones