1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Hi just got this and have a few questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hell0World, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Hell0World

Hell0World Lurker
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    Well, this is my first android phone because I don't really like the iPhone :)

Anyway I have a bunch of questions about this phone and android in genreal and I would be REALLY happy if you guys could help me out

1) What is Gingerbread, Froyo and Eclair?

2) How do they affect the phone, and can I switch between them

3) Can I change my Homescreen to make it smoother/faster and have like the scrolling main menu (it's like 3dish)

4) I really appreciate your help thank you so much

Advertisement

2. msgamer

msgamer Lurker
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    University Student
    Android 2.1 (Enclair), 2.2 (Froyo) and Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) are Smartphone operating systems developed by Android. Each firmware update has its own unique gadgets and overall look. Some allow you to tip your screen however you like and your Android will turn whichever way to accommodate you (Landscape vs portrait). Others have specific changes in the keyboard system and how you would email, text others parties. In all each firmware update is of its own, a personal preference. However, most users turn to 2.2 (Froyo) since it is the most popular among updates. But in contrast 2.3 (Gingerbread) is also rising in popularity due to the newer applications and gadgets it provides.

Link: Android 2.1 Eclair vs. 2.2 Froyo... food fight! - Engadget Galleries

Switching between Eclair, Froyo and Gingerbread can be tricky and I am unsure if you can. However, I would suggest to stick with one and go with it. Google between the three of them, look at interfaces and reviews on who likes what more and pick whichever suits your needs.

In concerns to the home screen, maybe this link will help you.

Home screen tweaks on the Galaxy S | Android Central

Good luck, enjoy your new phone and hope I have helped. :)

3. Hell0World

Hell0World Lurker
    None

Mar 23, 2011

Thanks SOOOO much