• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hi... looking for some captivate vpn help

00goat

Lurker
Nov 29, 2010
I guess this is the place to start posting... I can't decide where would be "proper" to post this anyway.

I've got a samsung captivate that I'm hoping to connect to a webserver on my lan with. The phone is basically stock (2.1), and I've rooted it and installed openvpn. I can connect to the vpn fine (on 3G), and even ping the webserver in question using terminal emulator, but when I try to actually view the site in the browser, it basically seems to time out.

My home line that the vpn is on is a uverse connection with 1MBit upload, so it should be fast enough for a single user, and in fact I know it works fine as I've had a friend test it from his pc.

My suspicion is that somehow the browser is failing to pick up on the alternate route, or that the connection is just too slow. I'm posting here because most everything on google with the right keywords returns stuff about browsing privately or difficulty connecting to vpns. I'm connected, I just can't get to what I want to see.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones