• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hi, my name is Jim and I have a Flashing Addiction

I've had my phone rooted for about two weeks. I've flashed CM6, MikFroyo 4.4, Kings Ultra, Koni Elite, MikFroyo 4.5, back to Kings and now to CM7 gingerbread with Wimax. I'm probably forgetting something. I think I might be done for awhile.

Oh, and I also flashed over to Amon RA instead of Clockwork even though I wasn't have any issues with Clockwork. I hope this gets better before it gets worse.

Upvote 0
I posted something similar to this over on XDA a week or two ago.

I can't stop flashing new ROMS. I can't stop looking at the forums for new ROMS to flash and try out. I can't even figure out what it is I am looking for when I flash a new ROM as they all seem pretty close to each other.

I mean, how much faster is fast compared to the previous version?

I, Whiteice, have a rooting problem.

Upvote 0
Hi all .....this rooting thing all started innocently enough..was just going to get the hotspot fix and that was it....now I'm an addict....even when everything is going good in my relationship with my evo I'm always looking around for something better looking, faster, more attrabutes...I feel cheap and unfaithful....my god what am I to do...are there meetings, are there pills that will help....maybe I should start R.A. ( rooters anonymous ) at least then there would be others like me to talk to....:D...who will join

I was tired of paying cox for internet and sprint.....hmmm there must be a way............. utube and this awesome forum later I solved the problem. But i could not stop there o no its now 8 hrs later and im still reading and tweeking my bad to the bone EVO phone. and to think a month ago I was still using a lame basic phone that I could not even get a picture and was paying for ring tones. . i'm sure there is an app to help this addiction I have caught. but I LOVE THE SICKNESS

Upvote 0
...maybe I should start R.A. ( rooters anonymous )

I always wondered what the "RA" in Amon_RA stood for. Now I know.

I started the same as you...just wanted that free hotspot and the ability to use a couple more techie apps from the Market that required root. Then I flashed Myn's Warm 2.2 RLS5, then I flashed a Netarchy kernel, then I flashed a few mods, and now....almost two months later...now....I'm gettin' itchy for some reason. I keep booting in to Recovery and just looking longingly at the Flash Zip from SDCARD option. It's right there...I could just so easily use the vol buttons to move to it, press the power button, and I'm flashing...it's right there...it would so easy...it's so damn available...

Upvote 0
Bringing back this thread from the dead:

hi i'm ocnbrze,
and i'm a flashoholic and have thought i was done when i found mik3d, but there are so many roms out now. i can't help but flash them to check it out. perhaps when mik3d is a rls1 then maybe i can stop. but until then i will stay a flashaholic. let me list the roms currently: synergy, virus kingdom b1 sense 3.0, synergy-kingdom rom nightlies, mikg, all of kings sense 2.1 and sense 3.0 roms, cm7, vaelpak and aosp vaelpak, evolvedrom sense 3.0, and BOS kingdom port r9. and that is the last month or so. i hope that mik3d rls1 comes soon or i might just blow my phone up by flashing roms until then. HELP! is there anyone else like me?

Reactions: Xtremedays
Upvote 0
I love this thread!
so to all the new rooters
Hello, my name is Jim and i'm a flashaholic. since i rooted my phone i have flashed in no particular order:
myn's warm2.2 rls5, fresh, mikforyo 4.4, mikfroyo4.5, koni's elite, miui 1.19,cm7 ,kings froyo unleashed, myn's warm z, and soon to be caulkin's evio 2 v1.8 (i know, i know, can't help it)

it has been 2 days since my last flash!

Ya didn't warn me ocnbrze!:eek:

Upvote 0
In the club.... do they have a 12 step to slow down... oh ya, buy an iphone:D
it is strange, I wanted occasional wifi for the laptop and didn't wanna spend the $$ then I found out I can play angry birds without ads... that was it...

I'd rather jump off a cliff than that :D

I never intended to root at all. I decided one day to just do it. My warranty was near the end, I thought WTH. So, I did it. Now, I see Ocnbreeze and Granite posting this stuff and it's like candy. I blame you two! LOL.. Just kidding. This is my own weakness. Where's the 12 steps.

Upvote 0
Ya didn't warn me ocnbrze!:eek:

I'd rather jump off a cliff than that :D

I never intended to root at all. I decided one day to just do it. My warranty was near the end, I thought WTH. So, I did it. Now, I see Ocnbreeze and Granite posting this stuff and it's like candy. I blame you two! LOL.. Just kidding. This is my own weakness. Where's the 12 steps.

don't blame me i did nothing. it was granite blame him. he is the crack pusher around these parts.:D

Upvote 0
Hey little kiddies, I'll have something else cooked up pretty soon.

Muhahahahah (evil scientist laugh)

see told you crack dealer. STAY AWAY FROM HIM.............wait is it the super mario theme?........damn it i want it............wait no JUST SAY NO........damn it granite hurry up with that damn theme of yours.:D

Upvote 0
12 Steps for Root Addiction:

1: Find a Rom
2: Download the Rom
3: Make a Nandroid Backup
4: Wipe Cache
5: Wipe Dalvik-cache
6: Wipe User Data
7: Wipe System
8: Wipe Boot
9: Flash VR Superwipe
10: Flash rom
11: Reboot
12: Enjoy

Repeat as necessary to appease cravings! :D

Enabler, not helping! ;) Seriously, I can't go a day without the itch to flash something new...

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'm getting bad too. See, always before I figured why the hell would I flash a new rom? That's just silly. And then, I had an issue with my Father's Evo, and ocnbrze pointed me to mikg.

Instantly I had joygasms and immediately came home obsessively refreshed the mikg forums waiting for the 2.5 release. Wiped my phone/sd card, partitioned it (didn't set a swap though damnit... I should have :-( ) and flashed MikG on my phone. Fast forward a few hours and I am cradling my phone like a lolrus and his bukkit.

Today, I flashed CM7 on my brother's phone. He loves the shit out of it.

After seeing me and my father and my brother's phones, my sister in law wants me to root and flash hers as well. Dunno if she wants MikG or CM7, but anyways... Holy hell.

All night I have been fighting the urge to flash CM7 onto my phone...

Sigh... MikG is all I need.

I do know why it's so addictive tho. For me, it's walking around with a mini laptop. I do a LOT of work from my phone, including remoteing into other machines using logmein or teamviewer, and I routinely use my phone for network testing and maintenance. When you use your phone as much as I do, you want the best of the best of the best of the best rom running on it.

Upvote 0
I really think it is almost too easy to flash a rom. I'm on Mik3d. Before that CM7 for a few weeks. Now, I'm thinking of going back to AOSP, instead of restoring a three day old nandroid with all my apps, it almost is making more sense to me to just flash the OMGB rom and try that.

I thought my addiction was gone. Nope, and I'm sure it will only increase when classes start back up. Because when a phone is more of a necessity, flashing a new rom everyday makes sense... right? Right?!

Upvote 0
I really think it is almost too easy to flash a rom. I'm on Mik3d. Before that CM7 for a few weeks. Now, I'm thinking of going back to AOSP, instead of restoring a three day old nandroid with all my apps, it almost is making more sense to me to just flash the OMGB rom and try that.

I thought my addiction was gone. Nope, and I'm sure it will only increase when classes start back up. Because when a phone is more of a necessity, flashing a new rom everyday makes sense... right? Right?!

I'm really glad to hear I'm not alone with this addiction. Even though I'm completely happy with MikG 2.5, today I flashed the latest stable Deck's -- told myself I haven't tried an aosp rom in awhile (been trying MIUI on and off the past month, but that doesn't count as aosp, right?), and also told myself I should have a nandroid of a rom with working hdmi mirroring... and deck's is really nice (I always forget how amazingly fast an aosp rom can be) but I also know I actually don't really like the way aosp looks... so really, I flashed it to feed the addiction. :)

Upvote 0
Lol.

I'm actually a little worried, I remember right after rooting, I would literally flash roms one after another, giving them only a hour to set in..

Now I can go weeks on one rom. I'm getting worried, my addiction might be easing up. Need to hit the hard stuff... maybe go back to FroYo for a bit..?
They cut the froyo roms much cleaner than the GB roms... Get a more pure product. The buzz lasts longer lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones