• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hi there! New blood here!

rubyiris

Apr 8, 2011
Hi, my name is Xander and I'm from Arizona. :3

I have recently been in the market for an Android. I'm going to a low-income Vocational school soon, so I plan on leaving my more expensive electronics, such as my laptop, etc at home, but still require access to the internet for social, and school-related things, so my parents have offered to buy me an Android smartphone. I've got about a $200 budget, and I've got a Cricket plan. I've been doing some research on whether or not it is worth switching carriers, and have been doing some research on Androids on the side, but it's all very daunting to me. My only experience with phones have been the absolute bottom-of-the-line guttertrash phones that lag even when you're just typing in a number, taking sometimes one or two FULL seconds to respond, plus the majority of my mental capacity is spent jumping through the hoops my prospective school is setting for me, and helping my mother upgrade her vastly out-dated electronics.

Right now I'm debating on whether or not I should bother with Cricket's $55/mo Android plan and buy an LG Optimus C, or switch plans. Virgin Mobile's $25/mo plan is VERY appealing, since I hardly ever talk, and would be using the phone more for online homework, facebook, forums, gmail, wikipedia, and youtube than actually talking, plus it would be easy for me to drop an additional $10 or $20 if I REALLY needed the additional minutes.

What I want to know are:

Are there other, better Android smartphones in the $150~$200 range?
Which between Cricket, or Virgin Mobile is the better carrier, and is there an alternative carrier that would be better to sign to?

Thanks. <3

Welcome to the Android Forums!

Both use Sprint's CDMA network so I'm thinking overall signal quality should be the same. And both carriers currently sell variants of the LG Optimus Android handset. Virgin Mobile is supposedly owned by Sprint so you might end up with better overall service from them. That said either could potentially serve you well...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones