• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hide Folder/Pictures

Syv3n

Dec 2, 2009
Is there a way I can hide pictures or create new folders to put personal pictures in and hide that? You know when you let someone look at your phone to see pictures is there a way I can have a spot to have my personal pictures I do not want people to see or hide them? I tried creating a new folder cant figure it out.

inside any folder on your sdcard you dont want the phone to see make a text file and call it .nomedia and the phone won't read that folders contents.

Havent tried that ... I know that if you make a folder and have the name of the folder start with a period, you wont see it in albums. the only way to see it is to use astro to view the SD card.

Upvote 0
inside any folder on your sdcard you dont want the phone to see make a text file and call it .nomedia and the phone won't read that folders contents.

To elaborate on this a bit as I was playing around with it to hide audio books from the media player...

Create a txt file on your computer and file>save as ".nomedia" without the quotes. Make sure file type is set to all files. Put that file in any folder on your phone you want to hide. I'm not sure if you can create this file directly on the phone or not. It won't prevent the phone from seeing the folder, it will just hide the files from the default media player or the gallery. Then you just need an alternate media player or picture viewer to listen to or see any files in the folder(s) with a .nomedia file in it.

Reactions: elwray
Upvote 0
Havent tried that ... I know that if you make a folder and have the name of the folder start with a period, you wont see it in albums. the only way to see it is to use astro to view the SD card.

You can also use Astro to temporarily rename the folder and remove the period in the folder name, then the folder will be visible in your albums. Rename the file again to include the (.) and it's gone from your album.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones