• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hide Post / thread

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarian
Oct 28, 2009
3rd Rock
androidforums.com
On another forum where I was admin before and still have mod powers, a hide feature was implemented for both individual posts as well as full threads, allowing mods / admin to temporarily hide a post / thread for various reasons - profanity, verbal flame wars, etc. While I realize that instituting this here for such 'disciplinary actions' would be confusing at best for users, I do have a personal request to implement this feature in a very limited way:

Sine Frisco has taken on the role of General Greenie Beanie (aka the top brass for us green guys) and the forums are being restructured to make them a lot more smooth, we're doing a lot of thread and post creation - and sometimes it gets harrowing to try to create a post without actually making it viewable until you're ready for them to see it. I'm specifically referring to the guide / sticky stuff, but this could really be applicable to just about any helpful post that is made by staff.

Could such a feature be implemented for us to us so we can create these posts in peace and then open them up when they are near completion?

Of course, wed have to make sure that we only used it on posts we are creating (or else it could be limited to staff and only available when creating a post, as it could be just as confusing if I were to go and hide a post made 2 weeks ago so I could edit it while a user is about to go looking for that post he read last night), but you get the general idea....

On another forum where I was admin before and still have mod powers, a hide feature was implemented for both individual posts as well as full threads, allowing mods / admin to temporarily hide a post / thread for various reasons - profanity, verbal flame wars, etc. While I realize that instituting this here for such 'disciplinary actions' would be confusing at best for users, I do have a personal request to implement this feature in a very limited way:

Sine Frisco has taken on the role of General Greenie Beanie (aka the top brass for us green guys) and the forums are being restructured to make them a lot more smooth, we're doing a lot of thread and post creation - and sometimes it gets harrowing to try to create a post without actually making it viewable until you're ready for them to see it. I'm specifically referring to the guide / sticky stuff, but this could really be applicable to just about any helpful post that is made by staff.

Could such a feature be implemented for us to us so we can create these posts in peace and then open them up when they are near completion?

Of course, wed have to make sure that we only used it on posts we are creating (or else it could be limited to staff and only available when creating a post, as it could be just as confusing if I were to go and hide a post made 2 weeks ago so I could edit it while a user is about to go looking for that post he read last night), but you get the general idea....

I can see where this could help with say a root guide or a how to for themeing etc.

Could you import a word document so it can be workd on outside of the forum?
I haven't tried anything like that, so I'm not sure my thought process is even on the same field.. :eek:

Upvote 0
I know this feature is available to Frisco (at least for existing posts) and I assume it is available for mods.

I agree it would be nice to have a feature like this. Currently when I am working a sticky I will either use my PM box for editing with the PM going to me if I accidently send it. Or I use the private chat with staff forum with a title saying I am working on a sticky in case I accidently post it so the rest of the staff knows I am not a complete idiot ;) then when I get done I just copy/paste all the BBCode to the proper forum.

I've seen a few sites that allow you to preview BBCode but I would rather do it here since BBCode tags can be specific to sites IIRC.

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0
Yeah, we do have the ability to 'unapprove' threads/posts, which is basically what you're describing. I don't know if Phases would want to give guides that ability too though, since it would mean that threads unapproved for moderation would be visible to guides too.

Yeahha's idea sounds like a good one though. You could even have a dedicated subsection of guide central for that purpose, I suppose.

Upvote 0
I didn't think of using private chat, that's actually a great idea - I can make the post and get feedback all in the same round, and then transfer it to the required forum. That might make the hide requirement redundant....

The PM to self is a great idea as well - I can send it to myself and pick back up where I left off....

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks, Xyro - Yeah, unapprove sounds suspiciously like the hide / unhide technique used at the other forum, and specifically for that purpose as well.

I like all three alternate ideas - I'll play around and figure out how to make use of them. I think Private chat or guide central would be the best place, esp. private chat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones