• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mods Hide System Tray Icons [Root only]

My phone is rooted, and I'm looking for a way that I can hide some specific icons on the top of my screen; the little notification icons.

I read stuff on renaming .apk to .bak, but apparently this disables the apps that I do this to. I still want the apps to run in the background. I just don't want the icon to show in the tray at the top.

How can I do this?

Android requires that non-system applications post a persistent notification whenever they are allowed to run as a background service. The presence of that notification prevents discourages Android from terminating the application when it needs to free up some memory.

Application developers can enable a low-priority notification, which will still appear on the notification pull-down but will not take up space on the status bar. Unfortunately, that's not something that you (as a user) can do. Alternatively, you can go into Settings > Applications and untick the "Show notifications" option, which will disable the notification but may prevent the app from being backgrounded correctly.

Reactions: Sepero
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones