• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help High Battery Temperature question

Red Leader

Android Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2010
Chicago
My Incredible's battery was at 35 degrees Fahrenheit at idle. After playing some music via wifi using Radio Time for an hour, the temperature was 109 degrees Fahrenheit and the phone was warm. Now I know the temp would go up, but is is this abnormally high? Is this normal? Do I have anything to be worried about cause I love this app and don't want to stop using it.

My Incredible's battery was at 35 degrees Fahrenheit at idle. After playing some music via wifi using Radio Time for an hour, the temperature was 109 degrees Fahrenheit and the phone was warm. Now I know the temp would go up, but is is this abnormally high? Is this normal? Do I have anything to be worried about cause I love this app and don't want to stop using it.

err.. 35

Upvote 0
I'd like to point out this is why you don't see actual numbers on your engine temp gauge anymore. Too many people agonize over the temperature and whether or not something is wrong. People take the vehicle in to the shop and get it looked at while it's under warranty only to find that everything is within spec. This costs everyone $.

Stop worrying about your battery temp. Use the knowledge to figure out ways to keep it cooler, since this will extend overall battery life. The reason HTC doesn't provide this app and give you the acceptable range of heat is because it doesn't matter!

Upvote 0
I have been worried about my battery temp for a while, but have a different thought.

I suspect that my random reboots are NOT keyed to signal strength (as some say) but high temperature. My first was at 109, and usually the reboots occur when the phone is in its holder in my pocket. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
Mine hit 120*F when using GPS and a windshield mount when driving through South Carolina a few weeks ago. It was in the mid 90s which is unseasonably warm. Only reason I noticed it was b/c I had it plugged in and noticed the light was blinking like it wasn't charging. When I check the status, it read 120 degrees and said "Overheat", so it stopped charging (it was about 68% when I thought it should've been fully charged). I had to take it off about once an hour to cool down in front of the AC before I could use the GPS again.

I haven't had any issues with it since then, so it doesn't appear to have any permanent damage because of it. But still, I think heat may be a minor concern with these.

Upvote 0
Interesting. I know what I saw but I'll do another check later and report back. The app may be misreading.
Yeah the app is misreading it because at 35F you are almost near freezing, so the only way that can happen is if you tossed your phone into the freezer. (Off the top of my head, I think 0C is 32F)

My temps range from 85F to 120F (was using the GPS for an extended period)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones