• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root High OC not necesarly faster?

Overclocking isn't necessarily going to have much effect on most things... Maybe some cpu intensive games will run better that didn't run very well before, but more than likely you are going to have problems later down the road if you are always OCing... People on here have talked about OCing to 1.8Ghz then their phone couldn't handle it any more after a while... So they moved down a notch... All you are doing is slowly degrading your cpu when you OC that high. Now there isn't a specified safe OC zone, but the cpu that is in the MT is rated for 1ghz-1.5ghz according to Qualcomm's spec sheet, but still be wary. But as always with everything YMMV.

also I am going to add another thing into this... As a general rule of thumb if everything runs smooth, don't overclock. There is no point in doing it unless it really needs it. Even then just don't run your phone OC'ed for long periods of time and stress the cpu...

Upvote 0
So i was messing with OCing and surprisingly @576 mhz doesnt have much difference to 1.5 ghz in the real world while playing games and stuff. Is my phone just weird or is this the case with others?

Not unusual at all. Your CPU might be running faster, but your phone isn't necessarily faster.

From my experience with OC, lower frequencies can hit the same benchmarks as the higher ones, but they are less consistent.

The governor used can also make a difference. For instance, I think interactive pretty consistently locks your CPU at 1g - even if you have it overclocked higher. You may want to make sure that your governor is something like "performance."

Running cpu spy or similar utility can tell you where your cpu is most of the time as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones