• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help High-pitched toned during phone calls?

Does anyone else here a faint, high-pitched tone/hum during phonecalls? Its quite annoying, now that I've noticed it. Sometimes it slowly and steadily increases in pitch. Is this a defect?

Is this happening all the time? Or only during some calls? Are you close to another mobile or maybe a radio providing feedback into the phone? I think we need more details ;)

Upvote 0
It is happening all the time, though I don't alway notice is, and then when I do, its maddenly distracting. Its like in the range of frequencies used for hearing tests when you go to the ear doctor, if that makes sense.

I thought at first it was Google Voice (as it there's an extra connection made in between you and the recipient), but dialing straight to the recipient without GV as an intermediary still results in this faint noise. Model 43/09. I've had no reboot issues or othet things, though I do notice that the when I play through the ringtones on my phone and during navigation, there is a slight hiss following the tones - as if the tones and voice navigation words were recorded imperfectly.

EDIT: I made a phonecall just now, and there was no noise. Then 50 seconds in, the high pitched interference-like sound started and slowly and steadily lowered in pitch over the course of 40 seconds till it went a way. And then a little later did the same thing. Its very faint, but there enough that its a definite annoyance.

Upvote 0
I have this problem. I was trying to figure out if it was a mobile to mobile issue, or mobile to landline, or when I initiated the call or when I received the call, but it's not consistent. It doesn't happen all the time.
Mine is a high pitch whine that gets higher as it progresses. It usually stops 20-30 sec into the call.

I haven't seen too many messages about this on the forums I visit.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem with high pitched tone during initial call connection. It doesn't matter where I am and seems to happen regularly - but particularly if it's been a while since placing or receiving calls. The pitch gets higher and higher, then becomes inaudible and the person I'm talking to reports that they can then hear me clearly. During the high pitch "ramp up", however, they report poor call quality. I can hear the other person just fine even through the annoying high pitch ramp up.

Any solutions yet?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones