1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

High quality earbuds with mic?

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by lureynol, Feb 5, 2012.

1. lureynol

lureynol New Member

Feb 5, 2012
    NYC
    Hello all,

I recently joined the smartphone revolution and picked up a HTC EVO design 4G on Sprint. In addition to being a great communications device, it has quickly replaced my old ipod touch as my music and audible device. I'm a huge fan of high-quality earbuds, but it seems everything these days is made for iphones. Here's my question - do these things work on Android phones?

I don't really care about the ancillary buttons (next track, previous track, volume). All I really want to know is if my phone will recognize/use the mic, and can I use the central button to answer and hang up calls.

As I said, HTC EVO Design 4G, and I'm thinking of something like the Logitech Ultimate Ears 600i or the Sony XBAs. Or should I just go with the Klipsch S4A or some Shures with the non-iphone mic cable?

Many thanks!

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    I got a Philips-O'neill earphones set with mic and volume control, for about $40 approx (conversion). The sound's great and clear, with nice bass. Its called "the Specked". Check it out:

PHILIPS | O'NEILL HEADPHONES -

3. jamisont

jamisont Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    im not sure what kind of DAC HTC EVO design uses.
    but gsmarena ran audio test for EVO 3d and result is a bit disappointing.

HTC EVO 3D review: An extra dimension - GSMArena.com

(headphone)
    noise level: -84 (-71.6)
    dynamic range: 83.5 (71.4)
    THD: 0.023 (0.109)
    IMD+noise: 0.051 (0.391)
    stereo crosswalk: -73.1 (-60.6)

if prices doesnt concern to you, i'd suggest portable dac/amp like filo E7 with klipsch image S4A headset.
    klipsch image s4 has been top earbud around 100$ past couple of years..
    and android version works for volume, forward/previous track etc

Amazon.com: FiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifier (Black): Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Image...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329054558&sr=1-1

4. FlashiChic

FlashiChic New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    I bought the skullcandy 50/50 earphones with the mic. Music sounds good. But people cant hear me talking. But i can hear them.

5. Adauth

Adauth Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    Oil and gas industry.
    New Orleans
    Rocketfish BT headphones from best buy. $50 and they can do everything pretty well. Not top of the line by any means, but just work very well.

6. steelpastor

steelpastor Active Member

Feb 12, 2012

I am also considering the Klipsch S4A earbuds... however no one seems to stock them near me. Does anyone have a firsthand review? I have a MAXX.

Thank you.

7. Swedishmafia

Swedishmafia Member

Feb 28, 2012
    I use the Motorola s305 rckr's and they work really well all the buttons work (play/pause, ff, rwnd, and and ans/hang up call). People don't even know I'm on a bt when they call. Plus I can walk almost all around my house and leave my phone in the middle of my house. I know they're not earbuds, but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents.