• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Highly Disappointed

Since it is after your 30 days, I am not sure that RS can do much. I would first take it to a Sprint repair center if you have one where you live, and then if not, take it to Sprint for a replacement. I know that it sucks that you might have to pay the $100 to get Assurion to replace it, but it really is still under warrenty, so if you get the right rep/manager they might just replace it.
Good Luck.

yeaa it really suks that none of the reps are on the same page.. very bad company management, not just by sprint but by all of the cell phone companies, everyone you talk to tells you a different story, everyone should be in sync with one another

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
A possible solution for you is to go on ebay and get the battery that comes with a wall charger. Though this won't solve your USB issue, at the very least you'll always have a back up battery charged and ready to go.

It sucks that there's a possible loophole that will absolve them of any error.

yea i considered that and other solutions like that power mat. or also radio shack sells a charger that will charge any battery when taken out of the phone. but thats just way too much hassle for me to have to take out the battery every time i have to charge my phone and den not be able to be on the phone while it is charging..etc.. and all of those things will wind up costing almost the same price anyway

Upvote 0
Since it is after your 30 days, I am not sure that RS can do much. I would first take it to a Sprint repair center if you have one where you live, and then if not, take it to Sprint for a replacement. I know that it sucks that you might have to pay the $100 to get Assurion to replace it, but it really is still under warrenty, so if you get the right rep/manager they might just replace it.
Good Luck.
Radio Shack helped me out just fine, I'm pretty sure a store can help you make an exchange of a product under warranty. My phone was 32 days, and Radio Shack gave me no problems. Now granted, maybe I just had helpful guys at my local Radio Shack (Bridgewater Mall, NJ), but its unlikely they made an exchange of a phone they had no authority to do.

I called Sprint Stores when I had a problem (btw, do all carriers have that confusing "authorized dealer", corporate store w/o tech, corporate store with tech heirarchy? I hate that) and the tech said it was something they don't work on in the store. Now, this was on the phone, and the guy may have just been lazy, but if he is to be believed, you may not be able to get that fixed in store. Like a return in Radio Shack, I suppose it depends on if you get a helpful employee.

Upvote 0
yea i considered that and other solutions like that power mat. or also radio shack sells a charger that will charge any battery when taken out of the phone. but thats just way too much hassle for me to have to take out the battery every time i have to charge my phone and den not be able to be on the phone while it is charging..etc.. and all of those things will wind up costing almost the same price anyway

Well, if you look at an auction that comes with multiple batteries it won't be so bad, but I understand it being a pain in the ass to always remove the cover.

Upvote 0
I have a thread started as well a few days ago:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/127268-charging-port-issue-anyone-else-have-problem.html

So far, insurance is $7 a month, and I paid $100 for the replacement. Asurion has a 5-7 day back order.

I am in the same boat...cant charge, but the easiest way is to have a battery charger and an extra battery. I ordered the chrager from Seidio and so far so good.

I did order from ebay 2x 1800 MAH batteries for testing....

I was going to try the Palm/Touchstone mod...but looking at that tiny spot for the solder looks tough to do....Im hesitating at the moment....

Upvote 0
i just went to radio shack and the manager said that shes going to order me a new one and it will take anywhere up to two weeks to come in but that it is free of cost, however she also said that im still covered by the 30 day warranty which dont make sense because i bought the phone on june 18th but i didnt question her because she pulled up my information and everything and said i was good.. now im just waiting for her to call me when the new one comes in. and i still get to keep the one i have now until then, so i guess ill just have to deal with wigiling the charger around for 10 minutes and then not touching the phone until it has a full charge until then

Upvote 0
I would take the phone apart and see if you can fix it. Maybe its just loose out something simple. The worst that can happen is you damage it and gotta get out replaced through insurance which your planning on doing anyways. You might just save yourself $100 and fix it

Edit: Didn't see that the manager was replacing it for you

Upvote 0
Yes. I am saying that the problem is 2 fold. And this is all theory.

My wife's phone will only take a charge if the micro usb is just right.

One of the 3 HTC chargers in the house won't even charge my phone without being just right. The other 2 chargers no problem.

I have a Sprint Micro USB charger that won't even fit into an EVO, but will Rumor 2 no problem. And it is a Micro USB charger.

So I am thinking either just the ports are jacked up, or the chargers are messing them up.

And yes, all 3 are Hw Rev 002.

Upvote 0
My last two phones have been bought through both Best Buy and Radio shack and on each I had an issue that I thought was simple but needed a Sprint tech to look at and fix. On the Hero I had the same charging problem as you. It so happens that it needed to be replaced. I had the insurance through Sprint even though I bought it elsewhere and they replace the phones without charging me the deductible or putting in a claim. True, it helped that the item was in stock, but still. I would first try to go to a Corporate Repair shop and see what they tell you.

TS

Upvote 0
So I had my Evo for about a week over one month now and I take amazing care of it, never dropped it once, have a great case on it, yet the usb port is broke which means I cannot charge my phone unless I play around with the charger for a long time and then keep the phone in that exact position.

By any chance do you use a Sprint car charger?

Upvote 0
It was over the 30 day mark. He brought the phone in and the rep tried charging it at the front counter and was not able to, he then went in back and brought out a new EVO and swapped it out. I wasn't overly surprised that they swapped it out, I was more surprised they actually had one in stock to swap it out with.

yeaa was it before the 30 day mark or after ?

Upvote 0
i bought it at a radio shack which is probably the reason for it breaking.. my manager at work said he used to be a manager at radio shack and for some reason customers phones would break all of the time, like way more than usual.. but i do plan on going to radio shack today and see if theres anything they can do for me. if not i guess im going to have to pay $150 bucks on top of the $200 i paid for the phone a month ago as well as the $200 i paid to get out of contract with tmobile.. woo a grand total of $550.. looks like i paid full retail price after all..smh

Sounds to me that your manager had issues for radioshack so now hes trying to lay blame on them as a company. There is no difference between the phones you get at radioshack,bestbuy and sprints stores they all come from HTC. People just don't take care of there phones.

Upvote 0
i just went to radio shack and the manager said that shes going to order me a new one and it will take anywhere up to two weeks to come in but that it is free of cost, however she also said that im still covered by the 30 day warranty which dont make sense because i bought the phone on june 18th but i didnt question her because she pulled up my information and everything and said i was good.. now im just waiting for her to call me when the new one comes in. and i still get to keep the one i have now until then, so i guess ill just have to deal with wigiling the charger around for 10 minutes and then not touching the phone until it has a full charge until then

May I suggest that since this time you were lucky and the manager hooked you up...to get insurance on the replacement. Which is not fraud and could be a lifesaver later if the issue happens again...:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones