• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

hijacked browser

yusername

Lurker
Jul 10, 2013
help me :(
I've been having problems with android's browser for over a month. it won't let me change the homepage, it keeps resetting to ftzh.com. I've also noticed that it doesn't let me block flash objects (the option to block until you click to activate), or maybe it doesn't save any changes in the settings.
I tried everything I found on android forums and nothing solved it. I tried clearing cache, cookies, history on the browser. I tried force-stopping it and clearing cache and data in the app settings, and then turn off WiFi and change the settings in the bowser. I tried to change the settings in debug mode. I installed every antivirus and ad-removing apps, nothing. resetting browser to default sets said website as the homepage (how can I edit the default settings?). I found a download link for the browser but I got an error when i tried to install it. I don't want to do a factory reset to he tablet just because of the browser.
I don't know which app might have caused this, I bought this tablet nearly 3 months ago, and installed a lot of apps on it in the same week.

I have android 4.1.1
any ideas?? :(

I have some apps that display ads inside the app, not in the notification area. nothing that redirects the browsers homepage.
wouldn't a factory reset remove all the apps I have installed (with all their data)?
I'll try to use a different browser, although they're not as fast as androids browser, until someone finds a solution for this :/
but it scares me to think that I may have a malware that sends personal info/passwords to a hacker.

Upvote 0
I have some apps that display ads inside the app, not in the notification area. nothing that redirects the browsers homepage.
wouldn't a factory reset remove all the apps I have installed (with all their data)?
I'll try to use a different browser, although they're not as fast as androids browser, until someone finds a solution for this :/
but it scares me to think that I may have a malware that sends personal info/passwords to a hacker.

Yes, a factory reset wipes the phone back to how it was when you took it out of the package. It's drastic, but ensures that there's no residual garbage.

Install Lookout and Lookout Ad Network Detector. Let 'em scan and do what they say.

Let us know if there's any issues.

Upvote 0
antivirus scans (from lookout and others) always return nothing, they alerted about having USB debugging on and other android settings that I disabled.
I think that the ad network detector found an app that modifies the homepage last month, which I uninstalled immediately, if I remember right it was about learning java. now the results show 'collect location information' and 'collect device or mobile network information'. I expanded them and they're about in-app ads. can these pay-to-remove-ads apps be the problem? most of the apps I install have at least 500k downloads.

Upvote 0
All these apps you've downloaded, where did they come from? Not Google Play or Amazon I presume? The Pirate Bay, Chinese app stores?

Sounds like you've been pwned.

I'm thinking it's seriously pwned as well. Is this device rooted? If so, something could have been nobbled, or changed at the system level, and so doing a factory reset may not fix it. And it might not even be detectable by Lookout or whatever. Probably would have to be wiped completely and and the ROM re-installed.

This ftzh.com looks like some kind of affiliate link spam site...probably Chinese or Russian.

Upvote 0
I only install apps from Google play. a few days ago I downloaded the browser to try to reinstall/update it, but it didn't let me, error parsing file or something.
and it's not rooted, it voids the 1 year warranty that I have on it, I didn't even remove the ugly sticker on the back.
however, avg antivirus alerted that it has been rooted. I think it was avg, I've installed all the antivirus apps I found in the play store.. but according to another app that shows if a device has been rooted or not, it's not rooted.
I don't think that it's because it's a cheap tablet, my brother has a tablet from the same unknown brand and he doesn't have problems with the browser.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones