1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Hinge broke in fall from back pocket

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by benmcdonald, Oct 16, 2010.

1. benmcdonald

benmcdonald New Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Seattle
    The hinge on my G2 broke when it fell onto concrete as I tried to slip it into my back pocket. This phone had to last 2 years and it didn't even make it 2 weeks.

I bought insurance but the deductible is $110. Because this was just a short fall I can see this happening again. I wish I could take it back.

What's the deal with this Z hinge anyway? There are much more robust designs that could have been used.

I used the G1 for years and it survived many drops with only a few nicks and scratches to show for it.

Ben

Advertisement

2. justme8800

justme8800 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    California
    Sorry to hear that, that sucks. I should look into getting insurance, too. But, of all the things one might expect to break a phone, dropping it on concrete is pretty extreme, eh? If you're planning on doing that a lot, maybe you might think about investing in a shock-absorbing rubber case or something.

For the record, I do like the Z-hinge and the clearence it affords my huge fingers on the top row. Hopefully you only hit it just so and this won't be a recurring issue.

3. Arcadia

Arcadia Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Well if you drop it on concrete from a standing position, what do you expect to happen? I make damn sure I don't drop my phone, especially on concrete.

4. wm2485

wm2485 Member

Nov 6, 2009
    North Augusta, S.C.
    Don't be to hard on him. No, I know what you mean, My wife drops her cliq all the time and it never got more then a scratch. Although I do like the z hinge design, I cant imagine it being too durable. Pay the $110 deductible, report it as lost, hold on to the phone for a couple of months, and...sell it on eBay as "Broken Hinge" :p (Money Back). No I lost an old cliq of mine, paid the deductible got a new one, then months later found it and t-mobile told me I could sell it on eBay no problem.

5. sinistersai4d

sinistersai4d New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    If phone still works I would just glue the pieces together... and use it as a Nexus one.

Then switch to this VK which is the best one imo..
    [MOD] HTC_IME (8th June) v27: Small fix - xda-developers

Tags: