• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hissing/static on headphones

Williamh

Lurker
May 9, 2010
I'm experiencing a static/hissing noise on headphones with my incredible. This is particularly noticeable on the small in ear headphones/earbuds during quiet portions of music, or if you have music playing and turn the volume down to zero, and for a short time after pausing music (until the audio jack is powered down. Is anyone else having these issues? Can anyone confirm that some phones do not have this issue?

I love the phone but this is almost a dealbreaker for me as it somewhat kills the whole idea of not needing a separate music player, though it can be somewhat worked around by headphones with online volume controls, decreasing volume by about half and boosting iron the phone.

Anyone else having this issue while using highly sensitive (low volume setting for loud apparent volume) earbud style headphones without any noise?

After listening to it for a while it is relatively subtle, and the volume slider (inline resistance type) set to ~50% pretty much completely eliminates it so maybe its not a huge problem... however if its just mine that's defective I'd rather exchange it and have one that's noise-free.

If you are using headphones without issue, what type are they? (I need to find some more traditional style headphones and see how they do...)

Upvote 0
Still trying to find out if this is just my phone or not, I tried going to the verizon store but its noisy enough there that I can't hear it on my phone so no way to know.

A quick way to check without sensitive headphones is if you are in a quiet room and change the ringer volume with the phones external speaker close to you're head - you can hear the tone, and then a hissing / static (on mine) for a few seconds before the amplifier switches off (I hear a click/pop when it does)

Upvote 0
I'm experiencing a static/hissing noise on headphones with my incredible. This is particularly noticeable on the small in ear headphones/earbuds during quiet portions of music, or if you have music playing and turn the volume down to zero, and for a short time after pausing music (until the audio jack is powered down. Is anyone else having these issues? Can anyone confirm that some phones do not have this issue?

I love the phone but this is almost a dealbreaker for me as it somewhat kills the whole idea of not needing a separate music player, though it can be somewhat worked around by headphones with online volume controls, decreasing volume by about half and boosting iron the phone.

For sure the amplifier in the Incredible has background hiss. You can hear it before a song starts. My iPod does NOT do this. Once the music starts, it drowns out this hiss, but there is definitely a constant level hiss.

Upvote 0
I hook my phone into my car stereo via a 3.5mm jack and don't hear any hiss between songs. However my problem is that there seems to be a frequency cut off for the bass and I don't get nearly the same thump listening to the same songs as I do from my cd player or even the radio

It is faint. Maybe it's being drowned out by the ambient noise in the car. But with isolating earbuds, you can definitely hear it.

Upvote 0
Anyone else hear the static? I've decided its not a deal killer but I want to be sure its not just my phone, if its just my phone I'd definitely exchange it for one without static.

I don't think it's the phone in particular. I think they all do it. You will notice that the hiss disappears as soon as you exit out of the app. IOW, if you were to plug your headphones into the phone, you would not hear this hiss until you started the app to play.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, you can also hear it from the external speaker in a quiet area if you hold it to your ear, the tone when changing volume works well, after it plays there is some brief static until the amp shuts off.

If anyone else could confirm its not just my phone, or that their phone doesn't do it, I'd appreciate it. I only have a day or two left to return/exchange it. Good to know I'm not the only one that noticed it though.

Upvote 0
I am also experiencing the hissing sound on my Droid X. It is not noticeable with earbud headphones but I just purchased in ear headphones that are noise isolating and it is way louder. The hissing sound is loud enough to distract me especially when I am listening to ambient type music on low volume.

Unfortunately I think every phone will have this issue.....

I guess I will just return my nice in ear headphones and go with just standard earbuds.

Upvote 0
I'm also having this problem. I use typical in-ear buds and its VERY noticeable at low volumes - which is a problem for me because I listen to music at work on the lowest setting. And like you said, when you pause/stop, it remains for a few seconds before going away.

I was really hoping to get rid of my ipod and use my inc as an all in one device, but this hiss will be a deal breaker...

Upvote 0

I've got exactly the same problem, I switched the cable on my earphones to one with an inline mic, and I suddenly noticed the hiss. I really notice with Audible as spoken words have gaps between them. Stop playing, hear the hiss and maybe 2 seconds later it's gone. Seems to be a software bug as I can play/pause hearing the hiss come and go in any app that plays sound - but then reboot and it's all hiss-free again.

Just realized, you're reporting this in an Incredible > 3 years ago... got the same problem with my HTC One...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones