• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root hmmm??? 2.1

If you download the file from the link I sent to you and follow my instructions, it should work. If not, I'm not sure where we go. It doesn't seem like your phone is being recognized as an Eris by the market. The only other thing I can think of would be to try clearing data and cache from your market app. Let's not worry about that yet.

If we make it all seem easy, it's just because we do this kind of thing all the time. Android can be tough to get use to, and it can be frustrating when things don't work right. No worries, we'll help you as much as we can.

Upvote 0
ok downloaded it, plugged phone into computer, changed from charge to drive, went where i saved it, dragged it to my phone, as mass storage device. then from there went in and where it was on there, i added it to file DCIM. was i supposed to or no?

Don't put it in a folder. It might not make a difference, but I've only side-loaded apps from the root of the sdcard. Instead of putting it in the DCIM folder, put it in the same place that the folder exists.

Say your Eris was drive G on your computer. Instead of putting the file in G:\DCIM, just put it in G:\

Upvote 0
I was helping him through gchat last night, and he was having problems with the gscripts. When I get home tonight, I'm going to run through the 1-click-eris-root method with him and get him on xtrSense.

Something definitely isn't right with his phone. Every time he reboots it makes him enter is gmail credentials again. Should I have him do anything else before he roots to try getting rid of this or should it be safe to root as is?

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I was helping him through gchat last night, and he was having problems with the gscripts. When I get home tonight, I'm going to run through the 1-click-eris-root method with him and get him on xtrSense.

Something definitely isn't right with his phone. Every time he reboots it makes him enter is gmail credentials again. Should I have him do anything else before he roots to try getting rid of this or should it be safe to root as is?

I'm away on vacation for the next 3 to 4 weeks (leaving this afternoon) and will not be checking in more than once a day or so during that time, so thanks for helping out.

If things are screwing up on Google credentials on starting up, that may explain the market issues. I think that the best thing to do is to factory reset the phone, reactivate from scratch, and then I'll bet that things will work better - including installing the 1-click root app from the market.

Remember, 1-click root requires running the app, clicking the button, restarting the phone, the shutting down again before you try to start in Recovery. I'd do a Nandroid and then install xtrSENSE right off - no reason to flash the rootme.zip. Well, I suppose that you could install Titanium Backup on stock with rootme.zip installed to make setting up the phone a little easier on restart, but if a factory reset is being done anyway, there is probably not as much reason for that.

Best of luck to nallen88, though. I'll be checking in later to see how things go/went.

Upvote 0
I'm away on vacation for the next 3 to 4 weeks (leaving this afternoon) and will not be checking in more than once a day or so during that time, so thanks for helping out.

If things are screwing up on Google credentials on starting up, that may explain the market issues. I think that the best thing to do is to factory reset the phone, reactivate from scratch, and then I'll bet that things will work better - including installing the 1-click root app from the market.

Remember, 1-click root requires running the app, clicking the button, restarting the phone, the shutting down again before you try to start in Recovery. I'd do a Nandroid and then install xtrSENSE right off - no reason to flash the rootme.zip. Well, I suppose that you could install Titanium Backup on stock with rootme.zip installed to make setting up the phone a little easier on restart, but if a factory reset is being done anyway, there is probably not as much reason for that.

Best of luck to nallen88, though. I'll be checking in later to see how things go/went.

Yeah, I was planning on having him just install xtrSense. I wanted to walk him through the 1-click steps because of the not so well documented restart, then shutdown, then boot into recovery step.

I'll have him try a factory reset first to see if that fixes the credentials problem.

Upvote 0
when i bought the phone on craigslist, it was on factory reset, i had to go into the store in order to get passed the opening screen. im not sure whats going on with this phone, can try a factory reset. but can afford to lose anything that is on my phone. big thanks to metlcat for trying to help me last night, and thanks to everyone for their input on this matter!!!!

Upvote 0
when i bought the phone on craigslist, it was on factory reset, i had to go into the store in order to get passed the opening screen. im not sure whats going on with this phone, can try a factory reset. but can afford to lose anything that is on my phone. big thanks to metlcat for trying to help me last night, and thanks to everyone for their input on this matter!!!!

I will make sure everything is backed up for you. If you have time today, check your gmail account to make sure all of your contacts are synced with gmail. That way, when you install the ROM all of your contacts will automatically restore. We'll backup your apps after you are rooted, before we install xtrSense. And don't worry about anything on your sdcard. It will not be touched during this process.

Upvote 0
I will make sure everything is backed up for you. If you have time today, check your gmail account to make sure all of your contacts are synced with gmail. That way, when you install the ROM all of your contacts will automatically restore. We'll backup your apps after you are rooted, before we install xtrSense. And don't worry about anything on your sdcard. It will not be touched during this process.

yes all my contacts are in my gmail. thanks. sounds good, i will be talkin to you in a few hours to get this completed.

Upvote 0
yep still having market issues, was having service issues, but got that fixed, i pulled battery out for a few minutes, put it in, got service long enough to dial *22899 and number 2 to update towers. but NOW im havin market issues. its not finding some of my apps on the phone market, but it finds them on the computer. ok but it will not allow me to install them from the computer. it does not find my device. so. any help on the issue would be greatky appreciated!!! :D

Upvote 0
ok so rooted on the rom xtrsense, after about 3 or 4 maybe 5 phone calls, i have to reboot my phone bc i can not hear ppl when i call, or ppl call me. when i reboot, it goes into airplane mode for a sec. then goes to no service. i have to be quick and dial *228 and do the program thing b4 it goes to no serive. and then it reboots, and sometimes still no service. i have to pull battery out for a few minutes and repat process. its getting old. any suggestions???

Upvote 0
Does anyone else thing a non-stock based ROM might fix this problem? It kinda sounds like the silent call bug.

I was thinking that myself, but I think Zach put the silent bug fix in xtrSense.

xtrSense is pretty stock...I'm thinking something else is going on--like why was the phone on Craig's List to begin with? (already wonky?).

Dunno... The OP could flash totally back to stock to rule this out I suppose...

Upvote 0
the guy had 2, they had upgraded their phones, and was selling them. thats all. i dunno, but im used to having to reboot the phone, but not used to having to reboot and then have no service. before the root, i had no issues with service...so thats my main concern. i can keep rebooting if need be. but want this service bug fixed. please. maybe try putting a different rom on? i dunno.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones