• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hmmm, I think I broke it.

Ok, this is new. I have not rooted my phone but I have installed some non-Market apk's. Yesterday I was playing with it rebooted and got hung, so I pulled the battery. After I got this one screen that it does not change from.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• CAMERA PHOTOS FAIL.jpg
    CAMERA PHOTOS FAIL.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 2011-01-04 05.21.42.jpg
    2011-01-04 05.21.42.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 58
I have tried booting into recovery for this.
No matter what button combo I try, this is all that comes up.

Edit: Just to give a bit more info, whenever I try to plug it into the PC for charging, that screen comes up. When I try to power into recovery, that screen comes up. The only thing that the phone is ever showing now, is that screen.
Hopefully T-Mo will replace it with minimal fuss.

Upvote 0
Can't, I can not put it into download mode. Even when it is plugged into the pc it will only show that screen.

I saw that screen once. I was a bit concerned at first because when I did my surefire "get-to-download" sequence (power off...plug USB cable into phone but not computer...hold both VOL buttons down...plug USB into computer) it kept going to that screen.

What I finally did, having heard about it, was to power off, then pull the battery (not part of the usual "get-to-download" routine) then plug the USB cable into both the phone and computer. While holding down both VOL buttons, reinsert the battery. That got me to download mode when nothing else would. Try it if you haven't yet.

EDIT: Just remembered this one too:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=819551

It involves making a jig to force the phone into download mode. Many have said it works well.

Team Whiskey will be selling premade jigs soon. Check it out:

http://board.teamwhiskey.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=209&start=0

Reactions: goldsend
Upvote 0
Thank you!
That has at least gotten it off of that screen and now I have tried to odin it.
After it loads though it goes through the boot screen with the samsung and galaxy logo and then it just goes black.
What now??
I am starting to think that my phone is fried.

You were successful in using Odin to get back to stock? I've not heard of people continuing to experience trouble after doing so. Did you do a battery pull afterward? Try rebooting a few times? Again, I've heard of very few instances of a truly fried Vibrant.

What ROM did you use with Odin? A stock one? Don't give up yet! We've already figured out how you can get into download mode. :)

Upvote 0
The ROM that I used was T959UVJFD.
Am I correct in believing this to be a factory ROM?
I have tried the battery pulls and reboots, but it still only boots through then into a dark screen.
Am I missing something?? Please remember that I had not rooted the device before, would that have an effect?

Yes, JFD is the original firmware from the factory.

It doesn't sound like you're missing anything, and rooted/not-rooted has no effect on the situation. Rooting doesn't change things so much as grant enhanced permissions to apps.

I would try using Odin again, if you're not already done that.

Upvote 0
I have already tried it a couple of times now.
I am really confused now. I am very experienced with computers seeing as they are what I do for a living, but this is the first time that I have tried doing anything with my phone. I wasn't even trying to do anything to it at first, I only tried to use odin after it crapped out on me.
can anyone think of any way to save it?

Upvote 0
Huh.
Ok, I went into the recovery menu, deleted all user data, then deleted all cache data, then told it to update files, it went through what sounded like voodoo, then came up, but I don't run voodoo on this device...
But it is working now and I am going to try to figure this out.

Hmm...Odin should have wiped the phone and even if Voodoo was on the phone would have wiped that too.

You are still using the stock JFD ROM? The good news is you're up and running again. :)

Upvote 0
Well, I thought I was using the stock ROM, but I have since done a dialpad return to factory standard and since then worked on my phone all morning and have gotten all of my programs downloaded and since then I rooted it and backed it up just in case that next time anything happens I will be able to recover quickly. I still do not know what went wrong, but I am now running a clockworkmod with rom manager and I have now started running voodoo and even just installed metamorph.
Its funny, I didn't want to root for fear of jacking up my phone and bricking a $500 appliance but it crapped out on me anyways, now I am rooting and going to town on it.

Upvote 0
Which version of Odin were you using? I have heard of people having issues with the older versions (1.3 I think). There is a newer version out since late October, here's the link.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [REF]***Vibrant Directory(Bible)Rev3.0--Important announcement!--***(1/6/2011)***

I always check the Vibrant Bible on XDA before I do anything to make sure there's not a newer version.

[REF]***Vibrant Directory(Bible)Rev3.0--Important announcement!--***(1/6/2011)*** - xda-developers

Glad you got it working though.

Reactions: goldsend
Upvote 0
so ive finally soft bricked my phone...im in south korea with work,my laptops usb ports wont mount to my phone is there anyway to get back out of this? i can do the 3 button combo and get to android system recovery with 4 options,
1 reboot
2 reinstall packages
3 delete all user data....and
4 delete cache data
all these options are in blue and do nothing....again im stuck without a way to transfer anything to phone ...any ideas? thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones