1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Holy Batman, Disabling/Turning Off Apps Gave Me a LOT More Space/RAM

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Phoenix777, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Phoenix777

Phoenix777 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 5, 2016
    I just wanted to share this with you all in case there are people like myself who have been debating on whether or not to disable or turn off the stock apps of your Samsung Galaxy if you don't use them and the system doesn't need them. I highly recommend it....it gave me a lot more storage space and RAM. Went from 1. 74 GB available to 2.5 GB. I uploaded some screenshots to show you what I have turned off... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Advertisement

#1 Phoenix777, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  2. Phoenix777

None

Jul 5, 2016
  3. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    scary alien likes this.
  4. Phoenix777

None

Jul 5, 2016
    I better not just in case I want to turn them on again at some point lol. I am however using Avast Cleanup which takes care of miscellaneous files, caches, etc, and left behind files after you disable or uninstall.

5. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    That's the beauty of the apps I listed:
    You can disable even more useless Bloatware without any repercussions.
    Simply disable, do not delete & you're good to go.
    If you get an update prompt, re-enable everything, take the update & disable afterwards.
    Package Disabler Pro gives conservative guidelines on what's safe to disable. You can go beyond that, just don't uninstall ANYTHING.
    Not trying to sell you on anything, just presenting options to further advance the war against Bloatware.........

6. Phoenix777

None

Jul 5, 2016
    thanks Kolio I'll check it out! but what is the difference between using disabling apps like that and just doing it yourself?

KOLIO likes this.
  7. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    You can disable more than what is presented to you w/the standard-stock app choices.
    You have the option to disable virtually every app on your phone,including KNOX & Cheetah Mobile's STD's.
    Of course don't go off the deep end disabling things,you may break functionality of some apps,but,again fixing that is as easy as re-enabling whatever caused the SNAFUs.

If you want a list of what I've disabled on my stock-unrooted T-Mobile Note4 running MM 6.0,I'll post it here. :thumbsupdroid:

Jfalls63 and zuben el genub like this.
  8. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert

Jan 24, 2011
    OK,
    if you have a list of which Google services do what, I'd like a PM. I can block the main ones and have and have gone some farther than you did. My phone is unlocked, but not rooted.

9. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    I don't have a list of which Google services do what,just some screenshots of what I have disabled from my Note device(s),past & present:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Phoenix777

None

Jul 5, 2016
    As far as Google services go, you will notice in the screenshots that I disabled Google play music (I prefer the Samsung stock music player) and Google play movies and tv, google play newstand, etc because I don't use these apps. However I did not disable google play services because it's integrated into other google services that i DO use such as goolgle play games and the google play store.

11. jackofalltrades

None

Jul 15, 2016
    Male
    Bloatware...bane of my life. I have AVG cleaners but RAM still seems to drain

12. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Because Android is designed to use as much RAM as possible. You can really safely ignore high RAM usage unless it's not freeing itself up and making problems with running apps, as that means you have a rogue app which isn't being cleared properly.