• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Holy Finishing Touches Batman, it's Sapphire 1.0

Poll closed due to new release for this ROM

• 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
idk what it is but using the volume rocker for music control doesnt work at all. If I hold the rocker up or down to change songs the app goes crazy and starts looping through random songs and playing the first minute of them. Does anyone else have this issue. I am really not in the mood to reflash since it took me forever to dl my apps again and i wasnt able to install them all since i forgot some of what I had. So far this rom is not working very well for me

Did you make a backup before you flashed? Why don't you just restore your previous ROM so you don't have to re-setup everything?

Upvote 0
Did you make a backup before you flashed? Why don't you just restore your previous ROM so you don't have to re-setup everything?

yea I can do that, the issue is just I don't feel like reflashing THIS rom if I have to set everything back up. So if I reflash to my old backup I probably won't be coming back to this rom for a while. That is why I am seeing if anyone had this problem and was able to fix it.

Upvote 0
Very happy to see ADW as the default system launcher. Nothing against LPro or anything, but I prefer ADW and having it in the system apps always solves my redraw problems when I have the standalone market version installed. I think all ROMers should include either ADW or LPro in the system!

This is on my phone right now with the Incognito theme, 125-1000mhz kernel and running very well. Review to come... well I dont know I feel like keeping this around for a while!

Upvote 0
Very happy to see ADW as the default system launcher. Nothing against LPro or anything, but I prefer ADW and having it in the system apps always solves my redraw problems when I have the standalone market version installed. I think all ROMers should include either ADW or LPro in the system!

This is on my phone right now with the Incognito theme, 125-1000mhz kernel and running very well. Review to come... well I dont know I feel like keeping this around for a while!

I actually have the opposite feeling. I don't like unnecessary apps, tho this is the least worrisome of those offenders. Even still ADW/LP are far bulkier than the official launcher and do cause some users annoyance. they are both available via the market anyway so why not just reinstall them like any other app.

I don't think I've seen a single ROM ship with LP, I think the dev is less open to that sort of thing then Anders of ADW (who has open sourced the whole thing). Fede (LP) isn't as into the Open source thing.

Anders is a great Dev and I love the Open Source mentality, but I'm currently on a LP kick (did ADW for a long time before) so I just uninstall ADW and replace it with LP.

I'm sure it'll switch back in a month or so lol.

Upvote 0
I actually have the opposite feeling. I don't like unnecessary apps, tho this is the least worrisome of those offenders. Even still ADW/LP are far bulkier than the official launcher and do cause some users annoyance. they are both available via the market anyway so why not just reinstall them like any other app.

I don't think I've seen a single ROM ship with LP, I think the dev is less open to that sort of thing then Anders of ADW (who has open sourced the whole thing). Fede (LP) isn't as into the Open source thing.

Anders is a great Dev and I love the Open Source mentality, but I'm currently on a LP kick (did ADW for a long time before) so I just uninstall ADW and replace it with LP.

I normally use LP also, but the incognito theme comes with ADW themed and I just can't bring myself to use LP because it won't match :p. I haven't had any redraws at all, this ROM is looking really good.

Upvote 0
idk what it is but using the volume rocker for music control doesnt work at all. If I hold the rocker up or down to change songs the app goes crazy and starts looping through random songs and playing the first minute of them. Does anyone else have this issue. I am really not in the mood to reflash since it took me forever to dl my apps again and i wasnt able to install them all since i forgot some of what I had. So far this rom is not working very well for me

The issue is multi-threading, and for anyone that actually programs, is a headache and a half. sometimes, it gets stuck. just tap the direction you we going a second time and it will stop. we are still looking into getting it more refined for our next release.

Upvote 0

I have to say I am really begining to get behind this type of thought, I have yet to find a real meaningful use for Benmarking programs. Either they just reaffirm what I already feel (that the phone is fast or slow) or they completely contradict it.

I was just thinking that I'm going to stop including Quadrant Scores in my reviews in favor of emphasizing what I do with my phone and how I felt it preformed at. I'm not saying that benchmarking scores are wrong, and they are helpful for quantifying (to an extent). But I would like to see a better breakdown of the Quadrant score

case in point Sapphire switch the media player does in fact have slower H.264 video decoding with Opencore vs Stagefright, that would be useful information to people who care about H.264 video decoding. But for most of us all we see is a lower quad score which is caused by something we may never ever use, but we don't know that's the reason, which explains why people have different experiences with "performance" because we all use our phones differently

Quadrant tells us its benchmarking certain things, let us have numbers for each of things as opposed to an odd conglomerated "score" as if benchmarking is about "winning" (ok it is sorta about winning :p)

Upvote 0
This ROM seems great so far, the only issue Im having is battery life and charging. Im running the Incognito theme originally with the 1200-250 lv kernel from the website, then the 1000-125 lv kernel from the website, but both seem to devour the battery life and not charge properly. Other kernels at this level (Chevy's) have not given me this problem. Is it the kernel, theme, or ROM itself? Phone seems alot shorter in battery life and takes longer to charge than ever has before.

Upvote 0
This ROM seems great so far, the only issue Im having is battery life and charging. Im running the Incognito theme originally with the 1200-250 lv kernel from the website, then the 1000-125 lv kernel from the website, but both seem to devour the battery life and not charge properly. Other kernels at this level (Chevy's) have not given me this problem. Is it the kernel, theme, or ROM itself? Phone seems alot shorter in battery life and takes longer to charge than ever has before.

Flashing now so I'll keep a look out for this but at least from the Kernel Perspective I've never had a problem with the P3Droid kernels on any ROM, and I use them where ever the are compatible. The battery life is one of the reasons I like them I find them a good balance between performance battery and heat.

Upvote 0
Okay, yesterday I flashed P3Droid's FRG22 and I thought it was great. Today I flashed Sapphire 1.0 and I'm totally blown away. The speed, polish, etc. It's just great. CyanogenMod isn't in a state for normal use right now; 5.x is old and 6.x is experimental. So I had to use hack-based ROMs that build from leaks, and I really hate using those ROMs. I'm so glad that I have another major source-based option now. Before, the only ROM I would consider for serious use was CyanogenMod. I'm adding Sapphire to the list of ROMs to go through. That list now stands at a grand total of two ROMs. ;)

Incognito theme is also great, I absolutely love it, but I wish it didn't change the icons for apps, I don't like the look of the icons. That's my only beef with it, everything else about it is awesome. I don't want to bother with it now but eventually, I'll probably delve into the update.zip or just mess around with my phone via ADB to try and get rid of those icons.

Upvote 0

Liquid v1.2 ships with both ADW and LP installed, and I believe it is PL3X ROM (a CM6 sourced ROM I saw) had LP installed and those are the only 2 I have ever seen.
The reason I like one of those two to be there (in place of, not in addition to) Launcher2 is I think, for the most part, one of the reasons we all like to flash ROMs endlessly is that we like to customize our phone. Launcher2 gives you zero options in that regard, and both ADW and LP give you oodles. Also, when the ROM dev puts ADW/LP in the system apps in place of Launcher2 they do not suffer from the constant redraws that happen all too often with Froyo. The other thing is I use the the hell out of scrollable widgets so they are a must for me!

Upvote 0
Can anyone tell me how ADW and Launcher pro are working with litium mod as far as re-draws? I have had redraw issues on the last 3 well know roms prior to running this, i have not played with this one much yet but i fear it will happen. I am sticking with regular launcher for now, but i hear that is you have adw or launcher pro as a system app they do not redraw as much, but the market apps do. Any insight would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Can anyone tell me how ADW and Launcher pro are working with litium mod as far as re-draws? I have had redraw issues on the last 3 well know roms prior to running this, i have not played with this one much yet but i fear it will happen. I am sticking with regular launcher for now, but i hear that is you have adw or launcher pro as a system app they do not redraw as much, but the market apps do. Any insight would be appreciated.

ryanboy said:
i have re-draw issue with launcher pro... is there any solution to fix this other then using the built-in launcher?
im running 1.0 with incognito theme

Redraw issues tend to be more an app issue as opposed to a ROM one (tho it certainly can be ROM related) If you are having Redraw issues try the following things
  • Adjust the built in memory settings in the Launcher App itself (if there are any)
  • Adjust some of the settings via the Root apps Min Free Manager or Auto Killer
  • Push the Launcher into the /system/app folder (reboot after)
  • Physically remove all other launchers from the phone (works every time for me)

The other thing here is that it may just be because you have to much stuff happening with your launcher (100 widgets, 10x7 home grid, 14 screens, etc). Not much you can do in that case except have less stuff running.

and if at the end of the day and all of those things, you still have unreasonable redraws, let the ROM dev know.

Upvote 0
My droid won't take it. I keep getting stuck in a bootloop before the sapphire; i get stuck on the word android. I'm eager to try this since it's built from source, but I can't get it working. I've wiped a couple of times, tried to install the rom a couple of times, and also tried reflashing my recovery again. I'm using CWM recovery, please help me out.

Upvote 0
Love Sapphire, if you have not tried it out, do so. A lot of the extras like Cytown Phone Enhancements and Eliot Stocker Music Mod are not applied upon install. You can do it VERY easily by using scriptybox via a terminal and with just a fee commands have the features activated and good to go.

Thank you Sapphire team!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones