• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

home alternative help

xlogan31x

Dec 26, 2009
Okay so I've had android for about a year now but just switched to the Droid x and was wondering what the best home alternative there is to offer. Have played around with gde but don't like it that much. Have launcherpro but have come yo think that you can't customize it as much because you can't download themes for it? Maybe i just can't figure it out. But let me know what i should download or if launcherpro is the best then how to use that. Thanks!!

I dig launcher pro. ADW seems to be the way to go if you want cookie cutter "themes" from the market for your launcher though.

I'm not sure what you are trying to customize but LP allows you to change all the icons in the dock, the dock background, create swipe gesture actions, etc. The more you play with it the more you realize it can do.

Upvote 0
What are "swipe gesture actions"? I downloaded the paid version but I am not sure what that feature does.

If you long press one of the dock icons, you'll get a "swipe gesture action" option.

When you set this, your dock icon will have two actions. When you press it, it will launch the set application. If you swipe up on the icon, though, it'll do your swipe gesture action.

I use this to set multiple actions for similar icons. For instance, my maps icon is in the dock, but if I swipe up on it, it launches navigation.

Reactions: Kevmueller
Upvote 0
I, too am in the dark about swipe gestures. Problem is you'd have to remember what your gestures are and do. By the time i remembered them I could be in an app the regular way ;)

It's not a "gesture" in the sense that you have to remember a pattern or something (like a lot of computer gestures are, or the Dolphin browser gestures). It's just swiping the app icon instead of pressing it.

It's pretty easy if you keep app functionality close. Pressing my phone icon launches the dialer. Swiping it launches Google Voice. That kind of thing.

Very useful for those of us that like super clean setups with few icons.

Upvote 0
LP+ definitely has the most features.

Also, the new swipe pop-ups are awesome. So when I swipe my ChompSMS dock icon, the little chat bubble comes up with all my unread texts. Same thing on the browser, except all my bookmarks come up.

It's pretty nifty.

As far as performance, I think Fede's done a good job of balancing all these new features with CPU usage.

Personally, I haven't found any detriment in performance with the new updates and widgets, and I have plenty of widgets on my homescreens (though I only have 5 screens used).

Upvote 0
Launch Pro works great for me. I have the 7 screens, mainly short cuts, only a battery and a sound widget and LP's Friends, Contacts and Bookmarks. The only problem I have had is that about every other day when I am on the Friends page it will stop for a second and close, then start right back up. I love the Friends feed so I can live with that. It is well worth the couple of bucks that it costs.

Upvote 0
Launch Pro works great for me. I have the 7 screens, mainly short cuts, only a battery and a sound widget and LP's Friends, Contacts and Bookmarks. The only problem I have had is that about every other day when I am on the Friends page it will stop for a second and close, then start right back up. I love the Friends feed so I can live with that. It is well worth the couple of bucks that it costs.

this is very very true.

And expect cool things from LP in the coming months. He is rebuilding it from the ground up. :)

I'm running 7 screens as well and I have little to no issues with about 6-8 widgets running.

Upvote 0
ADW for me. LP wasn't quite as snappy IMO, and at this point I've used ADW for 2 months now so it's what I'm used to. I've got the sense theme for ADW (I came from the incredible) and it is really close to sense. However, I truly wish I could completely delete the blur running underneath as I believe it causes slight lag/issues with any secondary launcher.

Upvote 0
i have the rubix ROM that deletes the stock home n gives you ADWlauncher..i tried for 4 days customizing and feeling out the speed and setting up the screens but LPP..UNBEATABLE :) federico has got something good goin on and he's literally obsessed with his work which is a huge plus for us..you can operate 15 apps alone from the dock..at one point i rocked 2 screens lol and it looked CLEANN..i can go on and on and on 3d app drawer..head turner ;)

Upvote 0
i have the rubix ROM that deletes the stock home n gives you ADWlauncher..i tried for 4 days customizing and feeling out the speed and setting up the screens but LPP..UNBEATABLE :) federico has got something good goin on and he's literally obsessed with his work which is a huge plus for us..you can operate 15 apps alone from the dock..at one point i rocked 2 screens lol and it looked CLEANN..i can go on and on and on 3d app drawer..head turner ;)

I love LPP as well and can't wait for the rewrite to get done.

Upvote 0

Can you tell me how to do this? I am interested. i don't know if it matters but I am running pretty much a stock Droid X with 2.2.

Upvote 0
Can you tell me how to do this? I am interested. i don't know if it matters but I am running pretty much a stock Droid X with 2.2.

How to do what?

You can put more apps in the launcher bar by using swipe gestures - if you long press any shortcut, you can set both the shortcut for pressing it, and the shortcut for swiping up on it. Additionally, you can do it by using the scrollable shortcut bar (you can move the shortcut bar left or right), and boom, you've got a whole bunch of apps.

Check the preferences for options on both things.

The 3D app drawer is just an option in the preferences to turn on or off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones