1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Home and search button stopped working

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 76ford90lx, Sep 16, 2011.

1. 76ford90lx

76ford90lx Guest
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Q.A. Supervisor
    Riverside, CA
    OK I know I did it, I just dont know what I did. The home and the search button on the bottom of the screen stopped working (the menu and the back button still work though) I had just turned on the phone and was clearing apps and deleting all sounds or vibrations on the keypads and adjusting brightness and some other settings. I was in the settings/applications/manage applications/running. section and I cleared the data on some apps to gain some memory and I also force stopped I believe it was called "IQ agent" it was running for 3mins so i figured it was not important. It could have also been anything else I inadvertently did. because I swear it was working then 5mins later it was not. So the million $ question is.. What did I do?

And even better than that, as I was typing this my wife calls the office phone and says she called my cell and it went to voicemail. So i call my phone and sure enough it didnt ring. Just great. I'm gonna turn it off and back on but even if that fixes it. I would like to understand what happened or what I did.

Advertisement

2. 76ford90lx

76ford90lx Guest
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Q.A. Supervisor
    Riverside, CA
    OK I turned it off and back on but nothing changed. I can make a call but the phone dont ring if you call it. I recieve emails also. Still no working home or search button. I'm confuzzled now.

3. 76ford90lx

76ford90lx Guest
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Q.A. Supervisor
    Riverside, CA
    Here is some more info I now think is related. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night(was very tired and dont remember much) I checked my phone and saw some emails and texts, I tried to check them but the warning popped up that the battery is dangerously low, so I turn to plug it in the charger and no sooner than it gets plugged in the phone shuts off (dead battery) so I left it plugged in and went to sleep. I woke up in the morning and turned on the phone. thats when I reset all my keypad settings and such becuase I noticed they all changed. I figured at the time that if this phone goes dead that it erases your settings, IDK for sure as this is the first time the phone has been shut off since owning it. So now I'm wondering if these other problems with the home and search buttons are related?? I found this thread

http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-m...ot-working-not-sleeping-locking-properly.html

Should I set this phone back to factory settings? or what should I do to get it back to when i bought it.

4. 76ford90lx

76ford90lx Guest
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Q.A. Supervisor
    Riverside, CA
    Now this phone is really getting me mad. I just get a notification of an Android update and when I click on it. The thing says that I have to log into my gmail account. Well I click on Gmail and I am already logged in to my account. Thats wierd. Why dont it see that for an update? no incoming calls, no home or search button, no updates, no good :( Phone meet concrete wall :) JK. So now I will look into what to do to retrieve my contacts from gmail so I can do a factory reset. This is day 7 of this brand new phone that is still stock and I havent done any funny bussiness, only downloaded about 6-7 apps and I need to do a factory reset after 1 week :(

If the phone doesnt realize that I AM logged into my gmail. I hope I will be able to retrive my contacts.

5. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    your contacts are stored on google servers, you wont lose them. you could run your phone over, huh dont actually do it though ok. then buy a new android phone any android.
    and soon as you sign into your google account on the new phone your contacts will reappear.

you can do a factory reset and go from there if you have not messed with any system settings the no home key has me puzzled though.
    it might be a hardware problem but I would certainly try the reset first.

6. 76ford90lx

76ford90lx Guest
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Q.A. Supervisor
    Riverside, CA
    Did the reset and everything is working. The home key and the search key are working again, I recieve calls again. Also last night when I charged it the icon that shows the battery % was gone but it was there earlier in the day when the other things stopped working.

When I reset it I noticed that the slider screen lock was back, funny thing is I never noticed that was gone until I saw it back on the screen again.