• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Home button and lock (power) button working alternatively.

caseyfla

Lurker
Jul 1, 2013
I just got an S4 on Saturday and have noticed that either the home button works or the lock button works, but never at the same time. I've done a full factory reset (with no backup) on the phone and the problem is still occurring.

Has anybody else heard of this happening?

Thanks.

I just got an S4 on Saturday and have noticed that either the home button works or the lock button works, but never at the same time.
Not sure I understand. You mean when you press both at same time? The power button on the side should turn off the screen whatever menu you are in and the Home button should just take you back to the home screen and not turn off device.
What are you trying to do?

Upvote 0
No, the problem is that when I can press power, locking or unlocking the screen, the home button doesn't work and vice-versa. So the screen will be on and I'm able to lock and unlock the phone, but then the home button won't work. If I hold the home button long enough, it will eventually work, but then it's impossible to lock the screen via the power button.

Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I'm following. Here's how the power and home buttons are supposed to work. Power - turns the screen on and off (plus holding it down will bring up a menu of additional options). Home button - with the screen off, pressing the home button will turn the screen on. It will do nothing on the lock screen. When the screen is on and away from the home screen, it will return the phone to the home screen. That's all it does. If you have anything other than that happening, it could be an indication of a problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones