1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Home button intermittently inoperative (Marsh-mellow)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WendellG, May 19, 2016.

1. WendellG

WendellG Lurker
    None

Dec 14, 2015
    After upgrading to Marshmallow my home button has been acting funny. It starts out fine, but at some random point it stops returning the phone to the home screen. It will still wake the phone up, and a restart will reset it and it will work again, for a while.
    I am up to about 4-5 restarts a day.
    I even booted into the recovery screen and wiped the cache partition, but it didn't help any better than a normal restart.
    When I upgrade to Marsh-mellow I did a factory reset as well, so I don't think there can be any kludge left behind.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Is it time for a S7 Edge? (He asked, looking for a excuse to upgrade)

Wendell

Advertisement

#1 WendellG, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  2. philayl

philayl Android Expert

Jun 25, 2010
    Male
    Wirral, Merseyside, England
    Hi Wendell, if you like a replaceable battery I don't think the S7 is the way to go, I was going for the LG G5 but have now decided to wait for the Note 6 specs and see if the replaceable battery is brought back. Phil

3. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert

Jan 28, 2011
    I sometimes had that problem on my Sprint Galaxy S5 when it was on Android 5.1, but the problem went away when I upgraded to Marshmallow (Android 6.0.1). For me the problem only seemed to happen when I used GPS & Bluetooth (which is only like every freaking time I get in the car). I was very happy to see the problem go away with Marshmallow. I was afraid it was a hardware issue, but obviously it's a software (probably OS) bug.

Which carrier and which version of Marshmallow? 6.0, 6.0.1?

4. RazzMaTazz

Jan 28, 2011
    Phil- I'm with you in that I have always said that I refuse to buy a phone unless it has a removable battery. (I waited for the S6 to come out before upgrading from my old LG Optimus, but then upgraded to the S5 instead because of battery, SD-card, and waterproofing.) However, something like the S7 could possibly make get a phone with no-removable-battery. The battery life on that thing is insane (like 16 hours of video playback or something) and it charges VERY quickly.

Still, removable batteries bring peace-of-mind and help extend the life of the phone. No need to throw out the phone or perform Galaxy surgery when the battery fails.

I'm so happy with my S5 now that it's been upgraded to Android 6.0.1 and now that it's rooted (with Xposed and XtouchWiz) that I really feel no need to upgrade. The thing is practically perfect now.

#4 RazzMaTazz, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  5. WendellG

WendellG Lurker
    None

Dec 14, 2015
    Hi Razz,
    I am on Virgin running 6.0.1
    I have had my S5 for 18 months and I really like it. The only time I have any issues are right after upgrades. Oh well, maybe I will figure this out.

I haven't tried to root my phone yet, I wonder if that would help...

Anyway, thanks for the response.
    Wendell

6. RazzMaTazz

Jan 28, 2011
    I doubt that rooting will help. But maybe if you could root and install a custom ROM. I don't see any Xposed modules starting with "Home" so I don't think Xposed will help. Perhaps you could call priest and have the phone exorcised?

7. WendellG

WendellG Lurker
    None

Dec 14, 2015
    Well....
    The phone is waterproof, so maybe I can dunk it in some Holy Water.....

AZgl1500 likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.