1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Home file sharing between my Mac and Nexus devices?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by toddnbrown, Jan 20, 2013.

1. toddnbrown

toddnbrown Lurker
    None

Jan 20, 2013
    I just can't seem to figure out any way to easily share the files at home between my mac desktop and my nexus 7 and 10. every search i do says how easy it is to set up a home network, but for me it has been the opposite. i just want an easy way to access the files from my Mac via my android and vice versa without using dropbox or any other cloud service. can't i stream a video file directly from the Mac to the nexus? I would rather use some kind of file explorer than some single purpose app. i would appreciate it if someone could help me out here. thanks! i am running osx lion btw

Advertisement

2. blarelli

blarelli Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 26, 2011
    I have an app called Bluetooth File Transfer that I use. Have bluetooth on on both devices, launch the app, then you can browse the phone's memory using your mac, and vice vera. Took me a few tries to figure it out, but you can download it and play with it until you figure out how it works.

3. toddnbrown

toddnbrown Lurker
    None

Jan 20, 2013
    Yeah I have used that, I was kind of hoping there was something where I could stream videos and music wirelessly from the Mac hard drive to the android. But thank you for the input.

4. blarelli

blarelli Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 26, 2011
    Ah, you should have said so. You can make your mac into an FTP server and install a client on your phone and stream it that way.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1361738

There's a thread about doing it from a couple of years ago. I don't know if any of the software mentioned is still out there or even available on Mac but hopefully it will give you a place to start from.