1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Home Key problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Miachan, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Miachan

Miachan Lurker

Since I am the least tech-savvy human being alive, I figure I'll throw this problem out and see if someone can help me.

I woke up this morning to a fully charged Droid 4 that appears the same as it was when I went to sleep last night. The only noticeable difference is the home button at the bottom of my screen no longer functions.

Unless something crazy happened in the middle of the night while I was sleeping, I don't believe I changed anything... I poked around thru the setting menu earlier today, even tried restarting the phone several times, but nothing seems to be helping. Can someone maybe suggest a fix for this problem?

At risk of sounding dumb, please walk me thru it pretty slowly. No taking things apart, no reprogramming anything. If its going to require more than the settings menu or something simple, I won't feel comfortable doing it myself :(
    Thanks in advance! :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User

Might be a simple solution... But have you tried pulling the battery out for a minute after you've shut it down ?

3. Miachan

Miachan Lurker

I was under the impression that you're not supposed to remove the battery from the Droid 4, is that not true? If I take the back off the battery seems pretty glued in there or something. :(

4. sdrawkcab25

Yes you are right, the battery isn't removable

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motorola-Droid-4-Teardown/7759/1

Try leaving the phone turned off for a few minutes (if you haven't tried that yet), sometimes things just need to settle. Other than that, you may be having a hardware problem, are you still under warranty?

5. Miachan

Miachan Lurker

Oh my, before I tugged too hard on the battery I Google'd it... I don't think removing this battery is anything I'll be trying by myself. Removing screws and things? Probably not good. Growing up I was always the kid who took things apart and never managed to get them back together in the same shape again.

Thanks for the suggestion tho, maybe I can coerce a friend to pop the battery out and see if that fixes things :)

Edit: I type too slowly, just saw your response. I turned it off earlier while grocery shopping (for about half hour) but to no avail. It is still under warranty - I've only had it for a week or so... but I've already had to ask for one replacement because of a physical flaw in the first Droid 4 I bought.

Maybe I'm allergic to technology or something, I don't know :(

6. sdrawkcab25

I would definitely take it back then, Motorola is usually known for their high quality buildmanship and hardware so it is surprising you've had two bad phones, but I'd get it replaced while you can. One flaw can easily snowball into others.

Miachan likes this.
  7. Miachan

Miachan Lurker

I just feel guilty having to return a second phone so soon after returning the first one, especially since I agree - Motorola products have always been sturdy and well-made in my experience. I kept hoping maybe I'd inadvertently changed a setting on this one that made the key not work, but having not downloaded any new apps or changed anything besides my wallpaper in the past few days, I'm at a loss. (I don't think the wallpaper had anything to do with it, I just set it to a picture of my puppy, not anything with widgets or anything).

Thanks for taking time to answer, anyway. Its much appreciated :)

8. kct1975

kct1975 Android Expert

I completely agree. If you just got the phone, you should be able to get a new replacement phone.
    In fact, since you already swapped out one phone, the one you have now might be a refurbished.
    I personally would go to a carrier own store, explain to them carefully but firmly that the phone you currently have is the second flawed device you have gotten and would insist that you want a new replacement instead of a refurbished device.

9. Miachan

Miachan Lurker

That might not be a bad idea actually. And you're correct about this phone being refurbished, I do remember the packing slip saying something to that effect. I had to call Verizon tech support to have the new one sent out, would I need to call them again for this? Not sure the store where I purchased the initial phone would be able to help me since the replacement wasnt' from them.

10. sdrawkcab25

Any Verizon corporate store will be able to help you.

Motorola Droid 4 Forum

The Motorola Droid 4 release date was February 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4430 processor, and 1785mAh battery.

February 2012
Release Date
Reviews