• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Home screen and CPU

svitte

Lurker
Oct 27, 2012
Hi! Can someone please help me? On my Droid4 (non-rooted), Homescreen quite often starts pushing the CPU load up to 40-60%, causing the battery to get hot and of course the battery percentage drops real quick. This is especially annoying when I'm on the web. I then have to go to my home screen and then the app tray. As I hit the app tray button, CPU is back to normal again, but this only takes care of the problem temporarily. This happens every time I open/close the physical keyboard. Other than that, it seems to be completely random. Will be most grateful for any help. 

That is Jelly Bean. Did you do a Factory Data Reset after upgrading from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean? That is the starting point that provides a known starting location from which to work. If you don't do it then somewhere down the line (after a few months even) unexplainable problems occur.

If you did that already clear the cache of temporary data and see if the issue stops.

If the issue is still there load in Safe Mode (it will disable all apps that you added without uninstalling them). If that solves it then you know you have an added app that is causing the problem.

... Thom

Reactions: ocnbrze and svitte
Upvote 0
well, I tried Safe Mode. none of the apps seemed to be causing this problem. so yesterday I took the bull by the horn and did a factory reset. problem solved! finally! thank you so much for your time.
P.S. I didn't know you should do a factory reset after a version update. i'll keep that in mind.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
Great.

Yes the need for a Factory Data Reset really sux. What we have seen over-and-over is that a few months after the update really strange problems occur and when we ask we find out almost always that the Factory Data Reset was not done.

Since you have started down the right road now you should consider what you backup and how so the next Factory Data Reset is easier (and you will also be prepared if your phone is lost or stolen).

... Thom

Reactions: svitte and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones