• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Home Screen Does Not Come Up

Foswick

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
OK, this falls under the heading of all of the disclaimers about rooting, and why you should be careful. But, I've broken something and need to throw myself on the mercy of the community to see if I can fix it without too much pain.

I've got an HTC Evo Shift 4G, and finally got around to rooting it last night so I could remove all of the factory-install garbage I didn't think I wanted. Rooting was fairly painless. I installed Android Terminal Emulator and went into /system/app and started removing files for things like Facebook, Kindle, etc. that I don't use.

I also removed a number of HTC widgets, weather, news, and stock apps/services, etc. Where I'm pretty sure I went wrong is in removing something related to HTC Sense that I shouldn't have (or which I should have gone about differently).

But, the bottom line is ... here's what the phone does now:

• When I power it up, it will not go past the "HTC Quietly brilliant" splash.
  • If a call comes in, it will go to the incoming call screen and I can answer the call.
  • That screen work normally, except that I cannot leave that screen - like to go to the home screen.
  • Once I'm on the call screen, I see notifications at the top of the screen (incoming emails, etc.), but I cannot drag the notification area down to do anything about them.
Here's where my Android ignorance shows through (I'm a desktop software engineer). It just seems like the software the phone wants to use as a desktop manager (akin to "windows.exe"), just isn't there (i.e. I deleted it).

My assumptions are that I ought to be able to find the necessary files and somehow get them back onto my phone ... or ... I ought to be able to modify the boot process in some way such that the phone doesn't try to use HTC's proprietary interface (HTC Sense?) with something else - or Android's native UI.

I can connect to the phone with ADB with no problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
-Tom

OK, this falls under the heading of all of the disclaimers about rooting, and why you should be careful. But, I've broken something and need to throw myself on the mercy of the community to see if I can fix it without too much pain.

I've got an HTC Evo Shift 4G, and finally got around to rooting it last night so I could remove all of the factory-install garbage I didn't think I wanted. Rooting was fairly painless. I installed Android Terminal Emulator and went into /system/app and started removing files for things like Facebook, Kindle, etc. that I don't use.

I also removed a number of HTC widgets, weather, news, and stock apps/services, etc. Where I'm pretty sure I went wrong is in removing something related to HTC Sense that I shouldn't have (or which I should have gone about differently).

But, the bottom line is ... here's what the phone does now:

• When I power it up, it will not go past the "HTC Quietly brilliant" splash.
  • If a call comes in, it will go to the incoming call screen and I can answer the call.
  • That screen work normally, except that I cannot leave that screen - like to go to the home screen.
  • Once I'm on the call screen, I see notifications at the top of the screen (incoming emails, etc.), but I cannot drag the notification area down to do anything about them.
Here's where my Android ignorance shows through (I'm a desktop software engineer). It just seems like the software the phone wants to use as a desktop manager (akin to "windows.exe"), just isn't there (i.e. I deleted it).

My assumptions are that I ought to be able to find the necessary files and somehow get them back onto my phone ... or ... I ought to be able to modify the boot process in some way such that the phone doesn't try to use HTC's proprietary interface (HTC Sense?) with something else - or Android's native UI.

I can connect to the phone with ADB with no problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
-Tom
Welcome Foswick!
Well, you are in the Evo 4g forums ...you said you had the shift?
ARe you rooted or unrooted/stock?
I would assume rooted as you used Terminal Emulator to remove system files?
What rom are you running?
The reason I ask is, sometimes you can pull the apk and odex from the rom .zip file, transfer to the /system/app, set permissions and reboot.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
If nothing else works, you could always RUU back to stock and then root again, making sure you don't delete important HTC apps the second time around :D
I believe that there are also programs out there that remove the "bloatware" for you so that you don't accidentally modify important system files

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones