• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Home screen locked in landscape

Did try battery and soft reset but no change.
Could not connect to KIES.
Uninstalled juice defender last night (only have a couple third party apps installed) and things went back to normal.... until I turned the phone on this morning.
On boot up the phone goes into daily briefing app.
Will try more tonight.

Upvote 0
I too am having the same problems, perhaps after installing 2.2.1 firmware. The two symptoms are locked in lanscape and no USB driver (on the phone) i.e. charges through USB but computer can't see it. Resets sometimes work for a bit.

My phone spontaneously went back to normal portrait mode whilst plugged in and the PC immediately recognised it as a device.

I have asked advice on the UK 3 blog and will report back if I find anything out. I am hoping that when 2.2.3 is available everything will work.

Upvote 0
I uninstalled Juice Defender and it went back to portrait.... until I turned it on the next day.
FFWD to today and it spontaneously went back to portrait when turned on this morning.
I too upgraded to 2.2.1
Good for now. Will update this thread if I find out anything more.

Upvote 0
There is definitely something wrong with the USB driver in 2.3.3. The phone often does not realise it is connected (charging only, screen doesn't start).
A restart has always always sorted this out.

This may be related to the unavailability of the external SD card occasionally which is cured in the same way.

There seem to be two USB modes:
Debugging off - Kies
Debugging on - Windows and Mac mountable drives

The screen still locks landscape but plugging and unplugging the USB cures this. Weirdly the other day I did this without noticing the other end wasn't plugged in and it still worked, explain that!

Upvote 0
I have just endured this problem. I've tried everything, and when I unplug the charger from the USB connector, my screen goes to landscape mode and is stuck there. Phone is out of warranty. It was recommended to get a can of air and blow out the USB socket, and it seems for some that worked. Not for me. Tried different cords, different batteries, neither of my two captivates will connect to any Windows 7 PC, not recognized. One is 2.3 Gingerbread, one cannot upgrade because it will not connect to Kies Mini. I cannot resolve the landscape mode problem, now that I have resolved the Tethering issue and the Car Dock errors by doing a factory re-set. Only lasts for a while then back to landscape mode when I recharge battery. Time to get another phone I guess, but I will be skeptical of Samsung as they won't do anything out of warranty for less than $70. They said it was an old phone... July 2010? I've used phones for 6 years with no problems... of course it was an old razr.

Upvote 0
I have just endured this problem. I've tried everything, and when I unplug the charger from the USB connector, my screen goes to landscape mode and is stuck there. Phone is out of warranty. It was recommended to get a can of air and blow out the USB socket, and it seems for some that worked. Not for me. Tried different cords, different batteries, neither of my two captivates will connect to any Windows 7 PC, not recognized. One is 2.3 Gingerbread, one cannot upgrade because it will not connect to Kies Mini. I cannot resolve the landscape mode problem, now that I have resolved the Tethering issue and the Car Dock errors by doing a factory re-set. Only lasts for a while then back to landscape mode when I recharge battery. Time to get another phone I guess, but I will be skeptical of Samsung as they won't do anything out of warranty for less than $70. They said it was an old phone... July 2010? I've used phones for 6 years with no problems... of course it was an old razr.

I'm not even going to attempt to understand this any longer. Gave up after weeks of struggling with this. Upgraded to a new Moto Atrix2 4G. Turned on the Captivate (without a SIM card) to fetch some info, and the phone is no longer in Landscape Mode. Not sure if the SIM could have anything to do with this or not, or whether this has something to do with sun spots. ;-) We'll see what happens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones