1. Android Forums Test Notice

Support Home Screen Redraws/Flickerng with default LG launcher

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tom Vaeerrrrr, Feb 24, 2015.

1. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Try Holo Launcher HD or Solo Launcher.

Advertisement

2. Tom Vaeerrrrr

Tom Vaeerrrrr Newbie

Am I able to get unread count badges on my apps with those launchers?

3. Tom Vaeerrrrr

Tom Vaeerrrrr Newbie

That is my issue with all third-party launchers. Most of them don't support unread count badges... you have to jump through loopholes to get them. I like the default launcher it just seems to be slow when I'm on the run and my phone is trying to jump between data/wifi and shit like that.

4. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Yes... It's a free add-on in Solo, might be in the base app in Holo, I don't recall exactly. Solo Launcher is the lighter weight of the two.

I personally hate unread badges. I just started using Solo Launcher again since version 2.0 is out and they updated a couple things that had been causing a problem with my weather widget before.

5. Tom Vaeerrrrr

Tom Vaeerrrrr Newbie

Do you know how I can get them in my lock screen as well? It's not very hard to get them while zipping around my home screen but they still don't work on the lock screen

(when using third-party launchers)

#30 Tom Vaeerrrrr, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  6. Tom Vaeerrrrr

Tom Vaeerrrrr Newbie

7. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Third party launchers usually have their own lockscreen app. Although, using the stock lockscreen should still show unread icons.

8. Tom Vaeerrrrr

Tom Vaeerrrrr Newbie

When I tried out Nova/Apex/Google Now Launchers none of them were showing unread badge counts :(

9. Gendo420

Gendo420 Android Enthusiast

For Nova launcher you need the prime version, and install Tesla Unread. You can change the colors, size and shape of unread badges.

10. Tom Vaeerrrrr

Tom Vaeerrrrr Newbie

11. Tom Vaeerrrrr

Tom Vaeerrrrr Newbie

Do you use Solo Launcher? How good is it compared to stock LG launcher? I really like the stock LG launcher. It's really nice and clean and runs perfect outside of the widget redraws that happen on occasion.

12. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

I am using it now. Here's a couple screenshots. It seems to be a little laggier than it used to be, but I just started using it again, but it's not any worse than any other launcher. This is also a complete revamp, so it will probably update and get better. It could also just be my phone and all the crap I have on it.

Attached Files:

13. Tom Vaeerrrrr

Tom Vaeerrrrr Newbie

I didn't like either of those launchers. Are there any others I can try that I can get unread counts/lock screen with?

14. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

What didn't you like?

15. Tom Vaeerrrrr

Tom Vaeerrrrr Newbie

They both weren't smooth. Transitioning through home screens and going through the app dock was not smooth. It was pretty laggy actually.

16. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Well, maybe the problem is elsewhere then. Generally Solo is fine for me, and I never had a problem with Holo Launcher. Did you enable keep in memory in Holo Launcher? The only lighter launcher I personally know of is Zeam Launcher, but it hasn't been updated in over a year and doesn't do unread notifications, if I recall.

17. Tom Vaeerrrrr

Tom Vaeerrrrr Newbie

Yeah I chose to keep in memory and I actually tried to use them. I don't have very many apps on my phone and I know how to keep things optimized.

18. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Hope that doesn't mean you are using some task killer, because that's not how to keep things optimized.

I don't have any other suggestions. Check out the articles I linked. The second one particularly mentions some that I've not seen before. I'm trying a couple of them out myself as I'm always looking for leaner launchers.

19. Tom Vaeerrrrr

Tom Vaeerrrrr Newbie

Nope I don't use task killers. They are shit

bg4m3r likes this.