1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Home screen slow to load?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by K-Rizzle, Jul 19, 2010.

1. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Android Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2009
    SAHM
    Florida
    Would this be a ROM issue? maybe an issue with Launcher Pro Beta?

When I hit my home screen button, it takes a few seconds for my shortcuts and widgets to load. I really like LPB but am not liking how long it's taking to load. I set it as my ONLY launcher in my ROM that I made so I can't go into another launcher and see if it's slow, does anyone think that could be the culprit?

Advertisement

2. EmoTonyB

EmoTonyB Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 2, 2010
    Burlington City, NJ
    when using the SDX rom maker i made prolly 10 different ROMs with all types of options different each time. i never experienced lag anywhere. i got a lockup or 2 and maybe one ransom reboot, but NEVER any lag

3. K-Rizzle

Nov 21, 2009
    SAHM
    Florida
    Hmmm, could it be the kernel then? I was just reading about the kernels on SDX, I don't even know which one I have because I followed a video tutorial, lol.

ETA: I went into settings, and found out I have littlekernel 1.2

4. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    computer tech
    Virginia
    It's possible its the kernel, putting on a new one would help rule out whether it is or not. I've been using meatkerenl v2 and it has been super stable for me ( i run LPB as well).

5. K-Rizzle

Nov 21, 2009
    SAHM
    Florida
    I was looking at that and littlekernel 1.5, both say they are the fastest, lol.

I DL'd littlekernel 1.5 but I don't see a file like the one I put into the binary folder when I first went through the process. I'm assuming I have to change kernels that way? using the software on my computer again?

MeatKernel has some option that I don't understand, so it scares me a little. I don't need bluetooth tethering. and I don't know what busybox or VPN is.

6. dntesinfrno

None

Jun 7, 2010
    computer tech
    Virginia
    Most kernels come in a zImage or .zip file. The .zip you would install just like the ones from the kitchen (put in /sdcard/sdx/zip and install from recovery). The zImage file needs to be renamed to 'zImage' exactly (same punctuation, no quotes) and goes in /sdcard/sdx/updates and this time from the recovery choose flash options and zImage. ONLY .tar files can be flashed with the updater tool. As far as the kernel options go that just means the necessary code is included in the kernel to do such things, doesn't mean you have to use them ;).

Tip: The easiest way to change kernels until you get a better understanding about them is to create an update.zip from the kitchen and just select the kernel you want leaving all other options untouched.

7. K-Rizzle

Nov 21, 2009
    SAHM
    Florida
    I'm doing that now, because I tried renaming the file exactly and putting it into that exact folder and it said file wasn't found.

8. K-Rizzle

Nov 21, 2009
    SAHM
    Florida
    Oh and I tried to use the zip file with the swupdater before I read your post, and it seemed to go through in the program (but didn't change anything on the phone), so did I just put unnecessary crap on my phone or would it just not have worked? I feel like such an idiot so far in this section. Sorry, I'm a PITA.

9. dntesinfrno

None

Jun 7, 2010
    computer tech
    Virginia
    As far as i know it doesn't install anything. Hopefully you made a backup incase it did :cool:.

10. K-Rizzle

Nov 21, 2009
    SAHM
    Florida
    I did, lol, I backed up system and data.

11. K-Rizzle

Nov 21, 2009
    SAHM
    Florida
    It seems to be going much faster now, no trouble with slow loading widgets, so I guess it was the kernel.

12. K-Rizzle

Nov 21, 2009
    SAHM
    Florida
  13. dntesinfrno

None

Jun 7, 2010
    computer tech
    Virginia
    Its possible its something left over from the theme, i personally dont use themes for this reason. They just seem to cause more problems than they're worth. You can try restoring your /data and /system (this wont affect the kernel) and it *should* put everything back to the way it was. I say should because im not sure where the theme files are installed, anything not in the /system or /data directories will be unaffected by the restore. In this case you will be best suited to flash back to stock and start over thereby eliminating any extraneous files.

Samsung Moment

The Samsung Moment was one of the first Android Phones with a slideout keyboard.