• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Home wireless network issues with phone

outdo42

Lurker
Feb 12, 2011
My current phone and previously with Palm Pre, seems to kill my wireless network after being connected for a period of time. I simply power down the router and cable modem and it works fine again for my laptop. It will be fine for my phone too, for a period of time, and then connectivity seems to stop. Everything on the modem and router looks fine, so I'm thinking something with the way the phones connect to the wireless network is causing this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

My current phone and previously with Palm Pre, seems to kill my wireless network after being connected for a period of time. I simply power down the router and cable modem and it works fine again for my laptop. It will be fine for my phone too, for a period of time, and then connectivity seems to stop. Everything on the modem and router looks fine, so I'm thinking something with the way the phones connect to the wireless network is causing this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sounds like issues with your router. What type of router do you have? I had a D-Link that was about 3 years old & it would disconnect my laptop if we had 2 or more devices connected to it. Upgraded to the D-Link DIR-655 & have had no issues whatsoever

Upvote 0
I have a Netgear Wireless N router, WIN2000 to be exact. It does have the latest drivers, etc. as I got a new laptop in December.

I still think it might be a router issue, for some reason it's having a hard time handing out IP addresses to your devices & keeping them in order. My last router had all the updated firmware but still couldn't handle more than 2 devices at a time after awhile. This new router I have a PS3, Xbox 360 through ethernet; 2 smartphones & 2 laptops through wifi with no issues

Upvote 0
After searching forums and checking with HTC tech support, I wasn't able to get my NETGEAR router to work. I'm convinced it is the phones connecting that made this problematic. We had fantasy football draft over here on that router with 6 connections without incident, but when phones connect, the whole thing would get disrupted.

My parents just happen to have a D-Link 615 router, which isn't as advance as draztikrhymez suggested, but I swapped them and so far so good.

I'm sure there are some very "techy" adjustments that can be made to make it work, but that is far beyond be and I"m working now anyway.

Thanks all!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones