• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Homescreen lag - is there a fix?

The youtube video is correct. the home screen app on the n1 is not as smooth or as fast as the g1/magic/mt3g. I have a n1, mt3g, and g1.

Currently there is no fix. The workaround is to install a home replacement app, such as home++. Home++ is incredibly smooth and fast on the n1.

That being said, the n1 is a super fast smartphone. Everything else just blows the older android devices out of the water.

Upvote 0
I'm getting mixed results. Totally being unbias (sp?), is there truly no lag on some phones (compared to the HTC phones) and lag on others?

Could this be fixed with future software? For me, I can live with almost anything as long as I know there will be an update that could fix it. Is the GPU/GUI (I honestly have no clue) strong enough? I'm very familiar with processors, but not whatever handles the graphics.

Upvote 0
Mine is just like the video, sometimes worse. I keep having to swipe two or three times to get it to work properly. Could be related to the number of apps installed, although I hardly ever have more than about 10 running in the background (including all the default android stuff).

Kind of annoying really, I assumed it was like this for everyone :/

Upvote 0
I just closed all running apps and removed all the complex widgets from my homescreens and it went smooth as butter again, so I think it's most likely related to third party software. Just be careful with the apps and widgets you download, and check the homescreen after every new install to make sure it isn't slowing down.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure there's homescreen lag on highres stock Android devices (i.e. N1 and Droid) because there's no GPU acceleration, and it's all done by CPU.

So the more widgets you got running eating up CPU cycles, less are dedicated to animating the swiping.

This is less prominent in the lower res devices because weak as their processors are, they have 2.6x less pixels than our devices.

Not that much an issue with SenseUI as I'm sure HTC optimized it for their devices. Not sure how Home++ is coded, but it seems to be smoother too.

Upvote 0
The Nexus doesn't have a dedicated GPU? (excuse my noob language)

I guess I was a bit ambiguous. The N1 does have a dedicated GPU.

The launcher (home screens), however, do not seem to call upon the GPU, but rather rely on CPU computations.

Seems like pretty shoddy optimization to me. Hopefully, they update it to take advantage of the GPU.

Upvote 0
yea it definitely seems like home++ utilizes the gpu more becaus i basically have the same exact setup as my default homescreen with all my widgets and icons wih the addition of two extra homescreens and the interface is extremely smooth. i just wish the app launcher was the same as the default homescreen one (3D Carousal) i stead of he old style android drawer. Oh and animated wallpaper support for home++ woupd be nice too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones