• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Homescreen Replacement

This was originally going to be a post about missing icons. I'll return to that.

I recently installed a (paid) homescreen app called GDE from a guy at XDA delvelopers. It's wonderful, and gives me a choice of the number of homescreens, transition type, and whether the sequence of screens loops or not (appears endless)
It works well and is very smooth. I use the box transitions and it's very impressive.

Back to the icons, which will be of interest to anyone who replaces their homescreen app. When I installed GDE, I was basically given 5 blank homescreens. All my shortcuts were gone and had to be re-installed.
Not so bad, because it gave me a chance to re-organize my device.
But, I couldn't find my CNN, ESPN, FaceBook icons. That's when I started this post, because I thought they were apps, they are not, they are browser favorite shortcuts on the homescreen.

So, if any of you replace your home app and want to restore these, just open your browser, go to favorites, and long hold on the shortcuts you want to install on home. Easy.

This was originally going to be a post about missing icons. I'll return to that.

I recently installed a (paid) homescreen app called GDE from a guy at XDA delvelopers. It's wonderful, and gives me a choice of the number of homescreens, transition type, and whether the sequence of screens loops or not (appears endless)
It works well and is very smooth. I use the box transitions and it's very impressive.

Back to the icons, which will be of interest to anyone who replaces their homescreen app. When I installed GDE, I was basically given 5 blank homescreens. All my shortcuts were gone and had to be re-installed.
Not so bad, because it gave me a chance to re-organize my device.
But, I couldn't find my CNN, ESPN, FaceBook icons. That's when I started this post, because I thought they were apps, they are not, they are browser favorite shortcuts on the homescreen.

So, if any of you replace your home app and want to restore these, just open your browser, go to favorites, and long hold on the shortcuts you want to install on home. Easy.

I tried that when I got Open Home, but it makes a different icon on the home screen. For Facebook, the solution I found was to install a small app that skins the shortcut with a bigger Facebook logo for the icon.

Upvote 0
I know this is an old thread but can you tell me what app this is? I lost my CNN Icon when I installed launcher pro, all it was was a link to the mobile site but the icon created through the browser menu isnt as good as the original.

Check that it's not listed as a widget or an application. Launcher Pro may not place it on its default home screen, but it wouldn't remove it entirely. Best I can do since the cnn thing is one of the first things I remove from my phone.:D

Upvote 0
Check that it's not listed as a widget or an application. Launcher Pro may not place it on its default home screen, but it wouldn't remove it entirely. Best I can do since the cnn thing is one of the first things I remove from my phone.:D

no it wasnt a widget or app, it was just a shortcut to the mobile site, but all is well as I went back to vanilla. didnt really need launcher pro after a few days using it. I was able to get a good CNN icon back on the launcher pro desktop though (one without that red ribbon) by going to CNN's full site, bookmarking it, editing the address back to the mobile site and creating a homescreen shortcut. it seems the full site leaves a nice looking icon and the mobile site puts the red ribbon icon. thanks anyway though,

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones