• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Honest opinion on the keyboard

Honestly, I may be one of the few that actually like the physical keyboard - I use it a LOT! I pretty much only use swype with the virtual keyboard, but since I use terminal emulator quite a bit, the physical keyboard is a must for me.

That said, there are definitely better keyboards out there, and there are things that Motorola did with the droid's keyboard that leave you scratching your head... But overall I am very happy with it.

Upvote 0
i came from the HTC 6700 and then the HTC 6800, both of which I had for 2 years each. I only used the physical keyboard since the WinMo onscreen keyboard was garbage. Both of these phones had good physical keyboards.

When I got the Droid, I absolutely hated the physical keyboard. I was always hitting the wrong buttons due to the flatness, and notably hitting the 'enter' instead of backspace, juts because my fingers werne't used to where the backspace key is compared to the old phone.

The thing I hate about the onscreen keyboard in landscape is that when you are typing, you are typing in a screen for the keyboard, so you cant see the screen that you are entering the information into. This is annoying to me when I'm in a chat because the person i'm chatting with may have sent more messages but i can't see them until after i finish typing mine.

From there I started using the slide out keyboard when I'm using landscape mode, and just got myself to type slow until I got used to the keyboard. Now I would say I'm 75% satisfied with the physical keyboard. It certainly isn't close to the best out there, but its not as bad to me now as it was originally and I find I use it often when I want to see the screen I'm entering information into while I'm typing.

Upvote 0
What I dont see mention here or other forums much is that EACH droid comes with a different slightly better RAISED keys. I have looked at many of them since I know someone..... and I can tell you that when a person says "I love my keyboard, it works great for me" that person got one of the "fair/good" keyboards.
What? Really? I hadn't heard that. My build is 43/09 and my keyboard is as flat as ever. I rarely use it ESPECIALLY since I put the Seidio Innocase on my Droid. The top row of keys is really hard to hit with my thumbs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones