1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Honestly, what makes Android different from Apple iPad?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Apple Repair, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Apple Repair

Apple Repair Lurker

Hope you don't mind me asking a few questions- I want to learn about this "Droid" phenomena. Please help me understand what you see in this and why anyone would want one over the iPad.

• Please name 1 pros and 1 con about both devices.
    • Can both Android and iPad coexist side by side or must one die?
    • Finally, what is the single best thing about the iPad? About the Android?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert

Well, the main difference is that the Ipad is a device and Android is an operating system. Are you trying to compare the Ipad to some particular Android device out of the many phones and tablets out there, or to compare operating systems?

3. gallandof

gallandof Android Expert

to answer your question..

which one? are we talking the xoom, g-tab, galaxy tab, shitty knock offs? there pros and cons to all, from price capabilities, screen size.

with that said i'll compare the top android tablet (xoom) to the iPad.

pros-complete os rebuild with honeycomb making it a lot more user frindly, dual core for better speeds and power management. 2 cameras, and being able to video chat anywhere.
    Cons- price tag. 800$ with a data package?!?!?!?! thats way too high. Screen size, 7" is the best for tablets.

iPad

pros- apple device and integration between iDevices

cons- Apple device, locked out ecosystem

4. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

Here's another con for ipad. You still need a computer to use it. Here's another con. That computer needs to have iTunes installed on it.

5. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert

That's like asking for a comparison between Sony, Dell, Fujitsu, ASUS, Lenovo laptops. Sorry, but it's a bit of a silly question. Why do you pick one brand of laptop over another? Most companies offer very similar hardware configuration. It is more down to personal taste and budget.

6. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert

Monthly fees. Sorry.
    I will stick to a laptop.

7. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert

Of course they can. It's all about choice. The PC didn't kill of the Mac, Android wont kill of iOS (Or vice versa).

8. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert

Instead of comparing the iPad to some random Android tablet, I'll just compare the OS's:

iOS:
    Pro: Clean, easy to use interface
    Con: Locked down, you can't modify it very much to your tastes

Android:
    Pro: Very open, you can modify it to look and work like you want
    Con: Still not perfect, and having so many versions of it over so many devices can sometimes cause compatability problems

And for this:
    They can absolutely live side by side. Some people want the easy-to-use Apple interface and like iTunes, and some people want the freedom to tweak and modify like Android allows. In fact, having them coexisting is probably very important, because they feed off each other, and if one dies, the other will stagnate. Since Android started getting more popular, look at some of the things Apple has added to iOS that they didn't do before: multitasking, wallpapers, and folders. I'm pretty sure Apple added that stuff because they saw people were leaving iOS for Android for those kind of features, or at least Android was advertising "We have this, and Apple doesn't!" They need eachother if we want the mobile segment to continue to get better and better.

9. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

I hope you don't mind, but I'll be answering this as a iOS vs Android question rather than a product vs an OS.

iOS Pro - Direct and timely support from Apple.
    iOS Con - Closed OS that Apple limits what you can do on.

Android Pro - Options (phone, carrier, keyboard, screen size, etc)
    Android Con - In the US, you mainly have to rely upon the carrier for updates rather than the phone manufacturer (which may or may not happen)

IMO, yes, both MUST coexist side by side. The "perfect" device for me is not the "perfect" device for the next person. Different companies and will have different ideas that will ultimately help to spawn creativity and innovation.

Answered the best thing in the Pro/Con (all IMO of course)

Hope that helps! :)