1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Honeycomb 3.0?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by settingsun81, Mar 31, 2011.

1. settingsun81

settingsun81 Lurker
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    I am considering getting a tablet and there is an extremely well priced and rated one on amazon A1CS but it runs 2.2.

Now am I able to download honeycomb from somewhere and update my device myself instead of waiting for the update to come from the supplier? If I can, where can I download it?

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Unfortunately, with many "no-name" devices, the manufacturer will never update it at all. Fortunately, there is a workaround. You can root the device and install a custom rom. The problem with this, not every device has a lot of people working on roms for it. You can look at forum.xda-developers.com, there should be a subforum for that device, look around and see if there is any roms for that.

But FYI, google has already announced they will NOT release the source code for Honeycomb, so its likely you will never see any custom roms based on that platform.

3. ForeverNewb

ForeverNewb Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 29, 2011
    PC\Network Technician
    London, Ontario
    But the android operating system is open source therefore isn't it a breach of the GPL which states the source code for open source projects must be freely avaliable to anyone?

Google could see alot of headache if they try to with hold the source code for Honeycomb.

But if there is a custom ROM xda.developers.com is the place it will be first.

4. settingsun81

settingsun81 Lurker
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Thanks for the help guys - The cheapest tablet I saw with honeycomb was about