1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Honeycomb Unveil on Feb. 2nd

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mched, Jan 28, 2011.

1. mched

mched Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Manager
    Valencia. CA

Advertisement

2. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 31, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Zoom looks awesome. But is anyone else concerned with the fact that at CES just a couple weeks ago the Zoom was in such a fragile state that demos were actually video mockups playing on the zoom? And the scant real demos they did were hands off and very fragile; yet 2 months later it is ready for general release?

I have a hard time believing that it will be released on time AND stable; based on the early state it was in at CES.

3. ckeegan

ckeegan Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    I'm actually really surprised they're doing this only 12 days before Mobile World Congress, where they typically announce some pretty cool stuff (i.e. Flash, Voice Search, etc). It almost makes me wonder what they'll be showing off at MWC, because I kinda expected it to be Honeycomb.

First of all, it's Xoom, but it was hard for me to get used to typing too. As for concern, no. It has nothing to do with how ready it was. Motorola's job was to show off the hardware, Google's job is to show off the OS, which they're doing essentially right between CES and the Xoom launch. Sounds pretty strategic if you ask me. And honestly, it really wasn't that fragile (see below), they just didn't want editors from tech sites digging into it too much before they got to show it off themselves. Even after the video below, Google said they had plenty of surprises left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YiXlkiq8Y0&feature=player_detailpage

4. reiththestud

reiththestud Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    While I'm sure they had some last minute tweaking to do, I doubt that was the whole reason it was on lock down. I'm sure Google has a LOT more in store for honeycomb than a revamped UI and prettier widgets. I bet motorola was on some type of info embargo from Google and were told the only way they could reveal it at CES would be to just show distinct preview videos.

Think about the guys at Engadget, you know if those guys could've gotten a hold of a xoom at CES, they would've dug all through every menu and application to discover everything possible. Google probably wanted to save the reveal of its best work for their own venue, i.e. the upcoming February 2nd event.

5. jimbo1mcm

jimbo1mcm Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    Google wants to keep the momentum going for Android OS. Apple is due to make an announcement pretty soon about the Ipad2 and their IOS. They don't want to be upstaged by Apple.

6. Homan13PSU

Homan13PSU Android Enthusiast
    None

May 27, 2010
    I've got to agree. The fact that Moto and Google had a workable video to show off of Honeycomb meant that they were probably working off some sort of beta release candidate and they're now just further along that process that its pretty much ready to go. At least, that's what I took from all this.

7. frenzy757

frenzy757 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    yea I think its a good move on their part...if Google did an in depth review at CES then they would have a huge upswing in their momentum then a downswing over time and then they would get knocked by Apple...

This gives them a nice even momentum followed by a short burst right when Apple is starting to make news...good move on their part.