• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Honeycomb update rolling out now for View

Reactions: Maine Coon
Upvote 0
Globatron now says it's possible to rollback from OTA Honeycomb to Gingerbread.

I haven't seen instructions on how to do this posted yet, but it's great news for those who updated to Honeycomb but either want Gingerbread back or rooted Honeycomb.

And Globatron is right.

There are no instructions at the moment.

For now one will need Globatron himself to do it thru the remote connection and restore the tablet to GB, as he did for me yesterday.

I had s-off, cwm and root on my HC.
Then I decided to go back to GB, restored GB Nandroid backup, got softbricked view w/o ability to go into recovery or boot to GB.

Reactions: bsweetness
Upvote 0
I did th HC update on the evo view that i bought for the gf.
seems pretty legit but im sure its way too advanced for her now, seeing as she was just getting used to GB.
Overall I liked it, made me a bit jealous because my Galaxy Tab isnt all that great.

HC is slick and runs faster.

However, until there will be an option restore hardware buttons and remove software buttons, I am staying with GB.

Dell Streak people got this option already, as I heard.

Reactions: rushmore
Upvote 0
And Globatron is right.

There are no instructions at the moment.

For now one will need Globatron himself to do it thru the remote connection and restore the tablet to GB, as he did for me yesterday.

I had s-off, cwm and root on my HC.
Then I decided to go back to GB, restored GB Nandroid backup, got softbricked view w/o ability to go into recovery or boot to GB.

It looks like he's working on a user-friendly way to rollback now.

Unlocking the bootloader on the View is now officially supported by HTC: HTCdev, which is why rolling back to Gingerbread for root is possible. The past few days have had a lot of great news for View owners.

Upvote 0

However, until there will be an option restore hardware buttons and remove software buttons, I am staying with GB.

Yes it is compared to the Stock GB ROM I put on my tab and i kinda dig the soft buttons. Only upside to my Tab is that I have led flash but the View has 32gb. I had to buy 32gb sd for my Tab :/ oh and its connected with sprint, I don't even have an account with sprint. Don't ask how don't ask why, I just do. It happened after I flashed the GB ROM but I stay on wifi.

Upvote 0
So I got my $230 daily steals EVO view today and immediately put honeycomb on it. Boy am I blown away. Its a shame that HTC didn't have honeycomb on it when it launched and overpriced it so horribly. This is even better and faster and smoother than my galaxy tab 8.9. The lower screen resolution is a bit to get used to coming from my 8.9, but i'm adjusting. I'm really shocked at how smooth the while interface runs.

All of this was typed on my new view by the way

Upvote 0
So I got my $230 daily steals EVO view today and immediately put honeycomb on it. Boy am I blown away. Its a shame that HTC didn't have honeycomb on it when it launched and overpriced it so horribly. This is even better and faster and smoother than my galaxy tab 8.9. The lower screen resolution is a bit to get used to coming from my 8.9, but i'm adjusting. I'm really shocked at how smooth the while interface runs.

All of this was typed on my new view by the way

Yeah, Honeycomb runs great on the View. I'd love to see what Ice Cream Sandwich would be like since it's optimized even better than Honeycomb.

And for those who installed the OTA Honeycomb but either want to rollback to Gingerbread or want S-OFF Honeycomb, globatron has released the procedure over on XDA.

Upvote 0

Agreed, since not seeing any feature for me that justifies losing precious space on a 7" display. Fixed navigation bar on a small display IMO is lame. Fine on my 10" Thrive, but not on the View.

ICS has the ability to use the capacitive buttons, IF the OEM applies them in their firmware. It is apparently not enabled by default.

Upvote 0
I've downloaded and for me there's a few more pluses than minuses, but the minuses are a bit jarring. Had force close issues, not liking the the missing hardware buttons and HBOGo doesn't work (worked with GB) as well as Hulu+

I love game emulators on the view and Honeycomb would make the display too small. Same for a lot of movies.

Seems the trade offs are too great, if you use your tablet like I do (games, movies, reading and web). If you use the device and want better pen function, seems HC is the only way to go. I could care less about the pen, so no need.

As mentioned before, my Thrive is dual core and HC, but my Flyer and View both play games the same or faster and higher def Flash video perform better too,

The only game that plays faster on the Thrive is GTA 3, but that app uses the dual cores (per the devs) and has nothing to do with HC. The Droid 3 my son uses is GB and plays just as fast as the Thrive.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones