1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Honeycomb update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by vasar, Jun 3, 2011.

1. vasar

vasar Newbie
    None

May 10, 2011
    Is honeycomb update for Flyer going to be substantial performance boost? And how is it going to be competing with dual-core honeycomb tablets?

Advertisement

2. Renegade360

Renegade360 Newbie
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    SW FL
    I also have a tegra 2 dual core that I ran honeycomb on. I honestly don't think there is an advantage to it vs 2.3 with our version of sense. Sense makes HC negligable in my opinion. I've since gone to a 2.2 rom on that dual core machine and the flyer with its single core processor and sense blow it out of the water in response time and general usage. So I don't need or care when the flyer gets honeycomb. The update i'll be looking for is icecream sandwich. IMHO Honeycomb has little to offer the flyer.

3. Dolmangar

Dolmangar Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 4, 2010
    Rational Tools Consultant
    DC Metro Area - USA
    The interesting thing will be that the Flyer is such a portrait centic device, and Honeycomb is very landscape centric. The only time I find myself using landscape mode on the Flyer is for web pages, (like now). Typing is easier in portrait but I'm using a BT keyboard so I've got lots of space in landscape.

I definatly want to see what they can do with Honeycomb, especially when it comes to widgets. Senses' screen layout in landscape isn't so great. I'd rather a full edge to edge screen that I could place icons and widgets on.

4. Renegade360

Renegade360 Newbie
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    SW FL
    Check out VTL Launcher. Has 35 spaces for widgets per window with 5 windows in landscape. Works great if you don't like sense. Free to xda members. So try it. If you like, buy from market.

5. Shofar

Shofar Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    What Bluetooth keyboard do you use?
    Did it work "out of the box".

thanks

6. Dolmangar

Dolmangar Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 4, 2010
    Rational Tools Consultant
    DC Metro Area - USA
    I have an Apple bt keyboard. Connected and worked without any special setup. Some of the cursor keys work for menus but a lot of the keys are unused. If you have one it's a good keyboard, but I wouldn't buy one for use with Android. I intend to buy a new one at some point, I expect that there will be a number of Android keyboards that get released as more tablets are released.

I did buy thumb keyboard and think it's fantastic.

7. crazie.eddie

crazie.eddie Newbie
    None

Nov 25, 2010
    I wouldn't be too excited for a Honeycomb upgrade on the Flyer, if there were any. I have a Motorola Xoom WiFi (Honeycomb) and an HTC EVO (Gingerbread), I can't run half the apps that are important to me on the Xoom. There aren't that many true HoneyComb apps on the market, and I got my Xoom at launch day, and constantly visit the Marketplace for apps. I'm planning to get the Flyer, which is why I'm here, and maybe sell the Xoom. I like the compact look/feel of the Flyer, compared to the Xoom. Sure, there are allot of great tablets running Honeycomb, but what's the use if the software is still limited.

8. TomXP411

TomXP411 Member
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    I also had a Xoom and shifted to a 7" tablet - I went with a Tab at first, and now I have the Flyer. I really like the Flyer, but I could use a slightly longer battery life; I get about 4-5 hours of screen-on time at the moment.

Tags: