• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root honeycomb

What's everyone's argument for gTabComb vs Flashback?
Major differences? I haven't heard much about FB, so I just don't know.

I haven't tried gtabcomb since the first releases so I really can't comment. FB has just been so reliable and stable for me so I never thought to try a different rom. I've asked someone before to try to run an app that uses flash to see if it runs on the gtabcomb but I didn't get an answer. Like does the vevo app work on the gtabcomb? I asked this because I remember gtabcomb had issues running flash apps but that was a long time ago.

Upvote 0
I tried Bottle of Smoke and had stability issues, so I went to GTabComb. I have really liked it, but there have been some peculiarities with it:
- When installing an app in the market it does not seem to install it. I have to click on "my apps" where it will be listed as "not installed". If I click it there, then it will install.
- Some websites seem to not work right - for instance, if I try to launch the gamecast on mlb.com, it does not work. Even though I have flash installed.
- My exchange account was just removed randomly
- Lost some widgets randomly - ie: the standard "date widget" on my home screen just went away.
- Lag - it seems to really lag from time to time. I am not sure why, but it seems that it is downloading data, filling up the data on my widgets, etc. I had a TON of widgets all over the place, and that may be the reason.

I think I am going to go with a gingerbread rom or something more bullet proof now. Does anyone have a recommendation as to the most stable/bullet proof rom? Seems like CM7?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks! I tried it and it is definately snappier and quicker than the HC Rom I have been running. However, I had a couple of issues:

1. Flash was not installed, and when I found it in the market, the market said that "this application is not compatible with this device". I suppose I could sideload it from somewhere? But from the Rom description, I thought it was included.

2. When I tried to add my corporate exchange email account I started getting a lot of force closes.

I think I will try quite a bunch now that I have wiped my device. Sounds like cyanogen mod might be a good one to try too?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones