• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hook up without data package?

pjku79

Lurker
May 17, 2010
I bought a hero used and went to hook it up to my work account (my only phone), but I can't talk my boss into paying for a data package and sprint wont split it out. Is there any way to trick sprint into thinking it is just a regular phone so they will connect it and I can just use it with wifi? I tried searching on this topic but didn't find anything. I might not have been searching for the right wording. Thanks

I bought a hero used and went to hook it up to my work account (my only phone), but I can't talk my boss into paying for a data package and sprint wont split it out. Is there any way to trick sprint into thinking it is just a regular phone so they will connect it and I can just use it with wifi? I tried searching on this topic but didn't find anything. I might not have been searching for the right wording. Thanks

No there is no way, the ESN will say which phone it is and it also need to be hooked to the internet for updates

Upvote 0
No there is no way, the ESN will say which phone it is and it also need to be hooked to the internet for updates

How/why in the world would Sprint ever know about data usage that is not across the phone network??? Does Google share the information with Sprint when you connect to the Market or do a Google search? Does androidforums.com (or any other site) report usage via cell phones to the respective carriers? I'm guessing you could even hit the Sprint site without any problems through WiFi.

I suspect that if you buy a voice only plan (or voice plus text messaging) and turn off the network on your phone that Sprint will treat it as a normal phone. I also suspect that it will still work with WiFi. However, someone should be able to confirm that shutting off data across the network will not also shut off WiFi.

Just be warned that if you accidentally do data over the phone network on a plan that has no data included, you will be hit with charges per KB if you do use data... I don't think they will stop you, but I think that they will gladly charge you.

Also, I seem to recall that a few sites/functions (and I forget which) won't work across WiFi.

Upvote 0
Also, since you are not buying the phone from Sprint at a discount, I don't think they will force you to use a cell plan with data... after all, they will charge you by the KB if you use data.

I would consider getting a personal plan just to avoid the issues in case you do accidentally incur some data charges...

This is incorrect, I bought a used Instinct from ebay and they forced us to change it to a data plan instead of letting us use it on our everything messaging plan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones