• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hope this battery life improves

I know that smartphones are battery killers but this is my only gripe with my new Droid Eris. I've had the phone for three days and the battery is back and forth. The first full day I had the phone it lasted till about 2pm on a full charge. The second day it ended up lasting longer till about 6pm. Now on the third day it's 12:45 and it's at almost 30% with not much use. I know there are open threads about this already but I hope this battery starts to get better over time like my Storm2 did.

Sorry to complain because this is the best phone I've had since I left Blackberry.

Did you read the thread about doing certain things to save your battery life? I only used a few as I like my phone to be a smartphone and not a dumb brick but it helped. Also, I went through every program one by one and saw which ones prevent my phone to sleep and determined which were worth the keeping and which werent. I now get a full days charge, 6AM til 11PM. Moderate use but crappy signal area (thats what you get when your office is a server room) The app that was killing my phone was YouMail. Once I removed that, changed the world on how many battery lasted. I recommend checking each app, 1 by 1 and seeing which one is killing your battery.

Upvote 0
What I did was this. I uninstalled every app that I put on there. Then I installed them one by one. After installing, reboot the phone. Then put your phone to sleep for 15-30mins. Then go to Settings -> About Phone -> Status and scroll all the way down to the bottom and look at Awake time. If that number is fairly high, that means that app is killing your battery. I think anything above 50% and sleeping for at least 30mins, get rid of if you dont need it. I am below 10% at all times. Again, some might say this is wrong but this is what I did and now have a longer battery life.

Upvote 0
Well I'm averaging about 27-29% in Awake time so maybe I'm ok and I just need to let the battery grow stronger. I've only had the phone for 3 days. Maybe it just needs some charging cycles like my Tour did and it will be better. Thank you so much for your help.

It has been repeated many times that several charging cycles from very low to full is what brings the battery to full life. For me that's about a week, and my stock battery was getting very good life with medium to heavy use by the 8th day of charging: 14 hours after use it was put on the charger and still had 22% charge in it.

I've since switched to the 1750, which I've had in through only one cycle so far and it's looking good already: 10 hours up and at 88% charge. I'm sure it'll end up after 5 or 6 cycles being very much more than the stock 1300.

I was worried at first; that darned battery made me mad as it needed charging after only about 6 hours of use. That started to change after several cycles of charging. Be patient. ;)

Upvote 0
it has been repeated many times that several charging cycles from very low to full is what brings the battery to full life. For me that's about a week, and my stock battery was getting very good life with medium to heavy use by the 8th day of charging: 14 hours after use it was put on the charger and still had 22% charge in it.

I've since switched to the 1750, which i've had in through only one cycle so far and it's looking good already: 10 hours up and at 88% charge. I'm sure it'll end up after 5 or 6 cycles being very much more than the stock 1300.

I was worried at first; that darned battery made me mad as it needed charging after only about 6 hours of use. That started to change after several cycles of charging. Be patient. ;)

thank you frisco. And to all that gave me some feedback. I'm learning alot about this device.

Upvote 0
Sorry I'm just so anal with my gadgets.

You probably shouldn't use "anal" and "gadgets" in the same sentence.;)

How are you able to check and know which ones are killing it? I installed a task manager to see if this would help as well.

I know I sound like a broken record to many of you, but task killers can actually hurt your battery life a lot more than help it.

Upvote 0
I know I sound like a broken record to many of you, but task killers can actually hurt your battery life a lot more than help it.

Why you gottta push your anti task killer on us? YOU PUSHER! :D

But I do agree, they are more problems that good, but I dont close apps the correct way and too lazy change my ways so it actually benefits me.

Upvote 0
you probably shouldn't use "anal" and "gadgets" in the same sentence.;)

i know i sound like a broken record to many of you, but task killers can actually hurt your battery life a lot more than help it.

yeah you're right i shouldn't. Lol. Bad choice of words. Trying to be patient, but i'm getting annoyed. Tried a task killer again and it didn't seem to help so now i'm going no task killer for at least a few days and seeing what the outcome is. I trust you....you haven't steered me wrong yet. Thanks dear.

Upvote 0
I want to first say that I am not nearly as knowledgeable as the other posters. But want to add my 2 cents. The first few days of having my eris the battery life was horrible. Did good to make it 9 or 10 hours, and I really wasn't doing much with it. Then I found this forum. I went through the battery life thread and the only adjustments I made to my phone were reducing the screen brightness, turning off phone location and gps unless I need it or I'm travelling, and installing spare parts(to watch battery level), and switching from the stock browser to dolphin. And then I went through 4 days of draining/charging. At the end of the second week, my battery was doing great---it was consistently making it through my waking hours(16-17 hours), being around 15-20% when I plugged it in at night. Then I decided I would go back to the stock browser(dolphin is a bit more complicated, at least to me, so just thought I would go back to the stock one). I did that at the end of the day on Saturday, the 22nd. On Sunday, my battery lasted 10 hours, and I did not use it hardly at all, but didn't really need it, so didn't worry, thought maybe it was just the signal or something(my signal is horrible, live in the country). The next day, I did use it some and it lasted only about 8 hours, I was completely bummed. I knew the only change I made was the browser, so I reinstalled dolphin, made it the default browser, and wow, my battery is great. I was thinking of getting the seidio 1750 battery, but it is doing so well I'm not sure now.
OH, and my signal is horrible most of the time. Most of the time only the tiny bar is lit up, and it goes between 1x and 3g all the time. It is better when I go to town, but I am a stay at home mom/ farm wife, so am in the country the majority(if not all) of my day. I was told at my verizon store that htc's just don't receive the signal as well as other phones---motorola's receive signals better(the moto droids are getting 3g all the time in our rural area). So I think that must just be an htc thing. (and no, they weren't trying to get me to change to the moto droid--they don't like it, none of the workers there have it, they have the eris or bb curve--three salespeople there, all local ladies that I have known for years)
Ok, I'll quit rambling...........don't give up on your eris, it is such a great phone, just be patient with it!

Upvote 0
you could do what i did, buy the 3500 mah battery from siedo.. I'm cycled it twice so far, probably will cycle it again.. I'm usually unplugged from 4:30am-9:45pm and i still have plenty of juice.. With normal use! I work 12 hours a day so battery life is vital for me.

see my biggest gripe with an extended battery is that it adds more bulk and will not fit into my holster that i have already. When i had my blackberry i got a hell of alot more battery life out of my stock battery...i shouldn't have to get an extended battery when my standard one should last no problem with the amount of use i put into this phone. I don't use it constantly but for the amount of time i do use it the standard battery should last no problem.

I love this phone and do not want to get something else....i just want to be able to get thru a 12 hour work day with some usuage and not have to worry about my battery dying. I don't think that's too much to ask. I'm not gonna go back to blackberry cause i really like the android os and platform. Just disappointed if it doesn't improve.

Upvote 0
I want to first say that I am not nearly as knowledgeable as the other posters. But want to add my 2 cents. The first few days of having my eris the battery life was horrible. Did good to make it 9 or 10 hours, and I really wasn't doing much with it. Then I found this forum. I went through the battery life thread and the only adjustments I made to my phone were reducing the screen brightness, turning off phone location and gps unless I need it or I'm travelling, and installing spare parts(to watch battery level), and switching from the stock browser to dolphin. And then I went through 4 days of draining/charging. At the end of the second week, my battery was doing great---it was consistently making it through my waking hours(16-17 hours), being around 15-20% when I plugged it in at night. Then I decided I would go back to the stock browser(dolphin is a bit more complicated, at least to me, so just thought I would go back to the stock one). I did that at the end of the day on Saturday, the 22nd. On Sunday, my battery lasted 10 hours, and I did not use it hardly at all, but didn't really need it, so didn't worry, thought maybe it was just the signal or something(my signal is horrible, live in the country). The next day, I did use it some and it lasted only about 8 hours, I was completely bummed. I knew the only change I made was the browser, so I reinstalled dolphin, made it the default browser, and wow, my battery is great. I was thinking of getting the seidio 1750 battery, but it is doing so well I'm not sure now.
OH, and my signal is horrible most of the time. Most of the time only the tiny bar is lit up, and it goes between 1x and 3g all the time. It is better when I go to town, but I am a stay at home mom/ farm wife, so am in the country the majority(if not all) of my day. I was told at my verizon store that htc's just don't receive the signal as well as other phones---motorola's receive signals better(the moto droids are getting 3g all the time in our rural area). So I think that must just be an htc thing. (and no, they weren't trying to get me to change to the moto droid--they don't like it, none of the workers there have it, they have the eris or bb curve--three salespeople there, all local ladies that I have known for years)
Ok, I'll quit rambling...........don't give up on your eris, it is such a great phone, just be patient with it!
I'm going to have to try out dolphin. I've been reading mixed testimonials about it. One person will say that the stock browser is what is sucking down battery life while other people say they don't notice a difference. I'll download it tonight and use it all day tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Why are some of you "cycling" or "conditioning" a Li-ion battery that has no memory whatsoever?

The battery manufacturer includes an instruction card with the battery that says to charge the battery for 8 hours before use, and then to expect the battery to achieve full capacity after 5 or 6 charging cycles (use battery, charge battery, use battery, charge battery).

That is all I gather a "conditioning" or "cycling" means with a Lithium Ion battery. There seems to be conflicting info out there about how to treat this type of battery. The best thing I ever saw written about it is that they are not all the same.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones