• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hoping some of you all can help me (navigator/music, gmail, usps tracking..)

LineDriver5

Dec 6, 2011
Hello all, I have a few quirks I'm trying to figure out.. any help is appreciated thanks in advance.

1. Nav/Music - when I'm using the navigator and listening to music the music PAUSES for the nav to tell me the next turn or whatnot. Is there any way to: optimally dim the music a bit to speak over it, or if that's not possible mute the music (as opposed to pause it) so it doesn't pick up where it left off but the runtime of the song continues as if it were playing in the background and I just couldn't hear it <--hope that makes sense

2. Dear gmail andriod app, I don't want the gmail notifications anymore. kthanksbye.

Anyway to disable these? I like the app once in a while but do not need the notifications, since I use the stock app most of the time and get notified from there..

3. This is a big one.. for me, since I track a lot of packages.. I hate to do this but "The iPhone got it right" on this one.. any 20 digit number or 1z3v..... in the body of any email would be clickable.. and link directly to it's respective tracking site and track the package.. I realize this is a pipe dream. The issue I'm having is that my phone thinks its a phone number so when i try to click it it tries to call or text it...

My "perfect" solution here would be to be able to select the text (just the digits, not the entire email/paragraph) and copy it, and bring it to the browser myself.. anyone know how to do this???

Thanks in advance, this place is great!

1. Menu.settings.call.alerts

Unchecked alert notifications in call if it is there..this may fix it. For whatever reason the ability to change this was pulled by most manufacturers. The majority of people voted they wanted it to.operate as it does now. Some music apps allow you to customize this but it is hit or miss.

2. See above

3. You hit the nail on the head....apple got this one right AND they have a patent on it. A few years ago android worked just like apple ...it was one of the many lawsuits apple filed

To select text you have to hit menu.more.select text while viewing the email. It is tricky and does not always work. At times I create a txt document and paste the entire email there and copy the tracking number.

This is one that is constantly evolving. I have seen the method change a few times over the past couple of years. They will get it eventually

Upvote 0
2. Open Gmail app. Go to Menu -> More -> Settings. Select your account from the list under "Account settings". Scroll down to the Notification settings area to disable/control notifications.

3. I use Package Buddy to track packages and it works great.

Thanks!! Will try the tracking program but I'm guessing you'll have to at some point copy the 20 digits from email..which I can't seem to figure out..

1. Menu.settings.call.alerts

Unchecked alert notifications in call if it is there..this may fix it. For whatever reason the ability to change this was pulled by most manufacturers. The majority of people voted they wanted it to.operate as it does now. Some music apps allow you to customize this but it is hit or miss.

2. See above

3. You hit the nail on the head....apple got this one right AND they have a patent on it. A few years ago android worked just like apple ...it was one of the many lawsuits apple filed

To select text you have to hit menu.more.select text while viewing the email. It is tricky and does not always work. At times I create a txt document and paste the entire email there and copy the tracking number.

This is one that is constantly evolving. I have seen the method change a few times over the past couple of years. They will get it eventually

Thanks ed! Going to try the navigation trick in a sec..

I can't seem to get the select text option to come up in the mail app

SC20111222-193629.png

Upvote 0
Thanks!! Will try the tracking program but I'm guessing you'll have to at some point copy the 20 digits from email..which I can't seem to figure out..

Thanks ed! Going to try the navigation trick in a sec..

I can't seem to get the select text option to come up in the mail app

SC20111222-193629.png

Ahhhh....that is the stock email app.. not the gmail app. I don't know if it can be done in the stock email app

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones