1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Horrible Battery Drain Mik 3.0

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Typhoonturki, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Typhoonturki

Typhoonturki Newbie

Just flashed Mik 3.0 and freedom aggressive yesterday. I charged all night, took it off the charger this morning. Within 5 minutes of pulling it off I was at 90% battery life. just 22m of the phone being off charger im down to 80% . Any ideas on why so bad?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

Been running it with stock kernel. Great battery life. I do use calibration app too. That kernel hated my phone.

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. Typhoonturki

Typhoonturki Newbie

Think I should give the kernel time to settle before I change? Hasn't been a full day with it on there yet.

4. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer

Yes I agree with you there. Let it run for a day or two, if it doesn't get any better try the more freedom. Or chop suey. I use the more freedom on my piece, works great.

If you haven't read the Kernels for dummies thread I suggest that you do. Lots of good info in the thread and it may answer some of the questions that are bound to come up :)

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/389360-kernels-dummies.html

If anything is unclear, just post up a question, we're all here to help! :D

andygu3 and ocnbrze like this.
  5. Typhoonturki

Typhoonturki Newbie

Awesome, thanks for the info!

6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

ALso, keep in mind when you take the phone off the charger it is not at 100%.This is a safety feature built into the device because lithium ion batteries "hate" being at 100%.

Your phone will originally charge up to 100%. At this point in time the light turns greens and the phone stops charging untill the battery discharges to 90%. It will then start charging again untill it hits 100% and this cycle of charging/discharging repeats until you take it off the charger, at which point the battery could be anywhere from 90-100% charged even though it displays as being 100% charged.

The drop off you see will happen with every kernel except those with SBC. It is mearly the phone correcting itself to display the actual charge.

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. Typhoonturki

Typhoonturki Newbie

Oh ok.. well that explains the sudden drop down to 90%, but dropping below that as fast shouldnt be happening. Im just going to let everything settle for a few days, and see if there is any improvement. If not I will go with a different kernel.

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

Kernels are like roms. Some roms and kernels run great on different phones. For instance, my previous Evo liked Freedom kernels, now chopsuey is the only kernel I use when it comes to Sense roms and my new Evo. But obviously, the stock kernel could be the best in some instances;)

9. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert

Man every time I read this, I feel like I should get the Non SBC version of Tiamat 3.3.7.

10. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

i will always use a sbc kernel so long as they are offered and it benefits my phone.

nolimit06 likes this.
  11. Typhoonturki

Typhoonturki Newbie

I've read some bad things about SBC kernels.. Like phones overheating and in rare cases exploding. Is this true? If they are ok, is there one you would reccomend for MikG 3.0?

12. ocnbrze

way back when sbc came out, "suposedly there were reports of this happening. the threads i saw linked a few incidents in china, but i doubt they were on sbc kernels. i think it was more of those bad chinese batteries that you can get from ebay. i have yet to see any verified accounts that sbc kernels cause your batter to exploded.

here this is a great thread that debated it. http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/319636-sbc-no-sbc-kernel.html. read post#18 by novox77.

if anything what sbc kernels may do is make your battery go out faster then normal. but that could take a few years before that happens and by then you will most likely move on to a different phone. if anything you can get batteries cheap these days.

9to5cynic likes this.
  13. EvoInAz

EvoInAz Well-Known Member

Wish we had a Sense SBC kernel to try. Doesn't look like that is ever going to happen :(

14. ocnbrze

nope:(

15. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

WHAT?!?! STILL no sbc kernel. Hell, I remember everyone complaining right after the 2.3 stock because of that.. that was *months* ago... That's too bad. I ever since I remember the simple fact that my contract will run out before my battery I've always been on sbc... :(

EDIT:
    Are there any universal kernels for GB? I remember some of the kernels were universal in the froyo days... would a sbc universal kernel work (assuming one exists)

16. ocnbrze

nope and nope to gingerbread sense roms, only froyo roms:(

17. MusicJunkie

MusicJunkie Android Expert

My phone only likes the GoldenMonkey kernels when I use Sense roms and Tiamat kernel when I use ASOP roms. I haven't tried any SBC kernels because I too was scared of them messing up my battery in the long run. Do SBC batteries allow for better battery life or just better charging?

18. MizzouBrent

It slows down to a trickle charge the last 10% and keeps feeding your battery the trickle to keep it at 100% after you take it off the charger.

19. MizzouBrent

Ha, I needed that! SBC it is!

20. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

Hmm.. that's a shame.

21. MusicJunkie

so does the battery last longer?

22. MizzouBrent

Each charge? Yes by about 10% because a fully charged battery is 100% instead of 90% like with non SBC. No sharp drop after taking your phone off the charger.

23. MusicJunkie

I wish there was one for GB like you guys said previously. After the drop I recharge my phone to 99% instead of 100%

24. MizzouBrent

10% isn't a huge deal for me and I don't ever have to go long stretches without having to charge my phone so it's all good.

25. handler313

handler313 Android Enthusiast

My phone is weird...it stays at 100% forever but once it hits like 19% it drains uber fast. It is bass akwards but hey, so am I :D

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews