1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Horrible battery life, even with bigger battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BHalbrooks, Feb 25, 2011.

1. BHalbrooks

BHalbrooks Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Massachusetts
    Well, I know everyone has some sort of issue with the battery. Here's my story. I got the Phone on the 9th, and since then the best I've had for a charge is 13 hours. I usually get like 9 hours out of a full charge. I have GPS, WiFi, 4G all off, Advanced Task Killer, I've read a shit ton of threads on here about it.I have the phone set to "sleep" at 15 seconds. I went to Sprint to talk to them, and figured I'd try their bigger battery. Literally today I got ten hours out of my phone before it dropped to 10% battery.

During my night at work, I text only. I don't really have time to get onto Facebook (I'm not really supposed to be texting, much less facebook.) I don't play Games or anything. I'm literally righteously hot about this. I cannot for the life of me figure this out. I mean, that sorta battery life sucks, but to get the exact same life out of this new, bigger battery is ******ed.

I don't have many Apps really. Advanced Task Killer, AK Notepad, Angry Birds, Bubble Burst, Easy Uninstaller, Facebook, Movies, Opera Mini, Weather Channel, and Where's my Droid.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I found a thread that explained about Apps updating every 4 hours, etc. I changed a lot, so we'll have to see what happens with that.
    Also, the bigger battery (2600 mAh 3.7V 9.6 Wh) constantly falls out of your phone, causing you to have to reset it. Just a warning.)

Advertisement

2. nklenchik

nklenchik Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    Student
    Yew Nork
    Lol why are you using advanced task killer? Let the phone do what it's supposed to do and self clean. That's like butchering the whole system with an axe...it's pointless.

If you're unrooted, here's some things you can do to to save battery:

1. Don't use live wallpapers, or extremely light wallpapers.
    2. Turn down screen brightness.
    3. Turn off when WiFi sleeps: Go to Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Wi-Fi Settings. Press the Menu button and tap Advanced, then Wi-Fi sleep policy. Choose "Never" from the pop-up menu.
    4. Don't use too many self-refreshing widgets.

Now if you decide to root your phone, there are ways to work around that even further by installing custom roms with unvervolted kernels that use less battery when the screen's off.
    Here's the Evo4G allthingsroot forum: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/

BHalbrooks likes this.
  3. BHalbrooks

BHalbrooks Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Massachusetts
    Yea, unrooted.
    So you're not supposed to use an "Advanced Task Killer"? Interesting.

4. lesawag

lesawag Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    Maintaining peace in my world
    Austin Texas
    Wow, thats very odd. I bought the same battery from the sprint store 4 days ago. It has been really great. I can easily get 24 hours out of it, and then when I plug it in, I still have 20% or more battery left. My battery fits very snug with the battery doors that came with the battery. It has never popped off and let the battery fall out. If anything its so hard to get the battery door off. If you sync your mail and stuff manually that saves a ton of battery. I would also suggest (if you have not done already) to turn off enable always on data. That and syncing your stuff manually help a ton. I would also get rid of the task killer. How did you charge your battery the first time?? Did you turn your phone off while charging?? I read that helps get a good strong charge. I let my battery charge 11 hours, even though the light came on green after like 4. I read all about these hints on this forum. I guess the next step is to maybe get spare parts from the market and see if something is running all the time. Have you checked the awake time and up time of your battery?? What does it say?? Im sure one of the Evo gurus will be along to help you soon. I think these are the steps they would tell you to start looking at. If your battery keeps falling out, this is not normal, go exchange it. That would drive me nuts.

5. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Android Expert
    None

May 4, 2010
    Which battery? If you got a 3500mah battery, I think it's a Sprint-branded Seidio battery. You should easily get two days from a full charge with normal use.

I get 24 hours with 4G on 100% of the time and with heavy data and text use and about 90 mins of calls. I watch at least an hour of SprintTV and 20 mins of ESPN radio stream on 4G daily too (my dog's need for walks is ridiculous) while I'm outside.

I don't do anything special except turn off 4G when I lose signal (about 1 hour of every 24), no task killers, and I don't use Haptic feedback.

I charge overnight while sleeping and don't turn off my phone to charge.

The extended batteries drop from 100% to 90% about the same as stock batteries, but they hold from 90-20% much longer. I guess the OS is tuned to stock battery. I wish Android or Sense had a better way to manage and gauge power by battery size.

6. dzar

dzar Well-Known Member
    None

May 25, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You didn't mention what kind of radio reception you get... less then 4 bars, maybe? The biggest culprit of battery drain in my experience is poor radio reception. Your phone will keep trying (very hard, it seems) to get a better tower and this consumes a lot of battery. If you have WiFi where you work, use that and turn off the radio. You will probably find you can go a couple of days with that big battery. I can go 24 hours on a standard battery once I switched to using WiFi for all my data. Where I work, I would drain the battery in just a few hours as I got poor reception, there.

Tags: