• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Horrible blue aliasing/artifacts in black areas during video playback

@All who think this is a file quality issue
Answer me this, when viewing this said video on another display medium like the following

Galaxy S
Galaxy S2
Galaxy Tab 7.7
Samsung Wave 1
Samsung Wave 3
Samsung 32" LED-TV
Samsung T220
Dell U2410
Apple 30" Monitor

Does not show any of the horrible quality that is on the screen shot, there are no hints of black clipping on the SuperAMOLED devices even on the list.

Playing around with VLC and adjusting the gamma/contrast/brightness to show the flaws only shows how ignorant one can really be!

@Those thinking this is purely a software issue
You might be right on those since the gamma curve on the Galaxy Note/Nexus is very incorrect as reported by Supercurio

@Those thinking this is not a hardware issue
So why did others had this resolved, especially on the Galaxy Note after a few screen replacements?

Altho this is already a non issue for me since samsung has returned my money and confirmed to me that this is an issue but everyone else is open to speculate on what they think about this issue.

Reactions: jkc120
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Would love to see some before and after shots please. Would really help some people who want a fix for people who are sensitive to this issue.

Unfortunately my wife has my nice point and shoot camera and is out of town, but I'll see if my good ole trusty dinc can take some close ups and I'll post 'em here :)

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Well, my old point and shoot doesn't have shutter speed control :( So the best I could do was trick it by using the "sunset" scene mode. I have to fiddle with color control now, as the gamma=7 made things a bit purplish. :)

I zoomed in and cropped the pics so you could see it more clearly what's going on. :)

Here's how it looks with the default gamma:

OU8vm.jpg

And now (notice the black is ALL black as it should be):

oBOuE.jpg

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Actually, I take it back. It DOES help with black areas of the video, but it's a trade off. In other places where there was no issue before, now there are some color banding effects. With gamma set to 5, the blacks have the issue. But if I go to 10 the lighter colors have issues. 7 seems to be an ok middle ground for video viewing, but it still has its own issues. So this helps quite a bit, but does not remove the video problems entirely I'm afraid. :(

Upvote 0
I just want to get this straight, if the artifacts are like the ones in the screenshot I took.

Screenshot_2012-04-15-12-30-44.png

I guess drop box doesn't want to cooperate so here's a URL instead. http://db.tt/5cz1Zdmx

Then they don't seem to be much different than regular compression artifacts. They are just becoming more pronounced. You can see it pretty easily along the dark side of Neo's face and neck.

Upvote 0
Ok, I found a clip that exhibits this. It shows in the default movie player on the nexus and also the mx player app.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28717002/test.m4v

Can someone out there play this back and see if you notice it? I think it's pretty hard to miss, but would like some others' feedback. Watch the black parts of the video (especially the guy's hair on the left) and you'll see some really annoying blueish/light-blue blockiness in the black areas. This same video played back on my dinc doesn't show this.

I'm also curious if people with a Rezound can check this? That will probably be my next option if I return the Nexus.

Thanks in advance.

Hi it worked flawlessly on Galaxy Note i had no back blocky clipping issues ??

Upvote 0
Posted this in a thread on XDA as well, but figured I'd share here.

My friend got an AT&T SGS3 and we were comparing the screens to see if any of the issues with the Nexus screen were still present. All I have to say is the SGS3 screen is night and day better than the Nexus:

- practically ZERO banding, even at lowest possible brightness
- color remains much more true even at lowest brightness
- no tinting I could detect at all, even at lowest brightness
- played back some videos and it's flawless. No artifacts, no color banding/gradients, no splotches.

The screen is practically indistinguishable from an LCD, except it maintains the deeper blacks.

Looks like Samsung really did tweak the hd samoled process technology for the SGS3 screen. I think I'm going to pick one up, once the dev community situation shakes down and I know if I'll have good dev/ROM support.

Kind of sad looking at the Nexus display now. :(

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
very cool find jkc! thanks for the note on leankernel..

This makes sense though... the OEM peeps have it set so that the colors dont get the issue, but blacks do... they probably picked what they thought was the less noticable setting, which was to make the colors better and the arifacts visible in blacks.

I think they made the best decision, as most people are used to crappy video, and the artifacts are much less noticable on high quality video... but I would love to be able to have freedom to set it (gamma, color balance, etc).

I wonder cranking the gamma in the opposite direction would help some of those people with color banding issues ???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones