• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Hot, bothered and data deficient

TheAtheistReverend

Anybody want a peanut?
Feb 24, 2010
Minneapolis
Bought a Rez off eBay, fired it up and activated it. Seemed to work fine (GB is all I really noticed) so I Unlocked the bootloader with the all-in-one tool, flashed amon ra recovery, flashed su and perm root, then s-offed. With all my other phones (Eris and DInc2) that was the hard part. All I had to do was flash Roms then. This looks so much more complicated with so much talk about flashing GB patch firmware, so many ruu's floating around, a ton of info but so much seems outdated or incomplete. I am intimidated and confused.

I flashed Nils Business ICS with the GB firmware patch and got hot boots/bootloops, and no signal (reboot would sometimes fix if it didn't go into hotboot/bootloop). So I flashed the 3.14.605.10 ruu for the latest firmware (I think) and I still got occasional hot boots and occasional no data (like the radio wasn't even turning on. No signal at all. Also would fix sometimes with reboot, but only until it hotbooted again) I tried to dial *#*#4636#*#* but the dialer would just bring up a list of the quick comands for data usage etc (#224 etc or something) but wouldn't bring up the usual phone menu to make sure I was on the CDMA LTE evdo auto. So I DL an app to get me to those settings. Al is set correct there.

Why might I be having radio issues/data connectivity issues as well as hotboot/bootloop issues across roms? If I'm flashing an ruu, doesn't it also flash a radio? I know just flashing a rom from recovery doesn't.

And yes, the cover was on the back and I did full wipes.

Anyone able to help? I'm noob here, but could hold my own back on the eris and dinc2 :eek:

the data drops are common after s-off and when bounching around firmware. if youve allready installed a custom recovery,youll need to replace it with the stock one. you can pull it from the ruu and just flash that,or you can simply reflash the entire ruu.

once the stock recovery is back,use the "clear storage" option in hboot. after the phone reboots,you may have an issue where the 4g icon is present,but no data happening. if you experience this,just do a simple reboot. if you do still have trouble,try factory reset in hboot,with the stock recovery. ive seen both reccomended as a fix for the data drops,and both do seem to work.

you need to use the stock recovery and the hboot options,as it seems to be able to wipe parts of the phone that a custom recovery cannot.

i might also suggest you read thru the noob root guide,as any advice i give here on the forum will be manual and youll either need to translate the directions i give for whatever your current adb/fastboot folder is,or youll need to have "mini-adb_vigor" set up. using a tool to unlock you may not have an adb/fastboot folder set up at all :eek: http://androidforums.com/rezound-al...ys-noob-friendly-root-guide-start-finish.html

might also check out http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/550408-s-off-guide-info-return-stock.html

the rezound is a great phone. holler if you have any questions :)

Reactions: TheAtheistReverend
Upvote 0
So, once I have restored the stock recovery and cleared storage, should I return to Amon RA if I want to flash roms or can I use the stock one or just flash with adb (would this help me keep stability in signal etc?)? I have never really used a "stock" recovery.

Basically, I get the proceedure for rooting and the like. I can make the motions through ADB and fastboot, especially with instructions in front of me :D
I just don't feel like I get what ROMs are safe to flash from what point (some are only good to flash after you have already flashed an ICS ruu?), and which would be stable. I feel like there is a specific "path" I have to take, like: Stock to rooted stock and s-off then to stock ICS ruu flashed as PH89IMG.ZIP, then then go s-on and flash something like NILs rom, go s-off and flash a kernel.
It seriously looks to me like it is that rediculously complicated. I'm used to rooting, wiping, then flashing whatever rom you want until you find one you like and is stable for you. That's it. You can flash another kernel or radio after, but it is never required and almost never causes problems.
Am I imagining things? Is the method for rooting in your suggested thread more stable or something than the all-in-one tool? Or is it more complicated than I wish it was? Does each rom HAVE to flash an ruu or boot.img afterwards or separately even if you're s-off?
I was reading through the "Best ICS ROM" thread and liked the sound of some of the ones you were talking about there.
I just want stable ICS with light customization options (status bar tweaks, OC and UV is really all I am looking for).
I'm currently on "Stock" ICS 3.14.605.12 (OTA-ICS-Plus v1.1) and data is working fine (and finally not overheating), but I still get the occasional hot boot.

EDIT:
I just got through your How-To flash roms post. Thank you for that. I learned quite a bit there. That may be why I have been having so much trouble flashing.

I still wonder if I ought to re-root with your method instead of the all-in-one tool, or if there is anything else I am over thinking/under thinking.

Upvote 0
aiyaiyai! let me try and clear up a few things. alot of what you see is becasue of the differences(inadequacies) of having to use htcdev. reading thru this,may help clear up the differences,and why youve made things alot easier on yourself by doing s-off: http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/587430-s-want-flash-roms-read.html

So, once I have restored the stock recovery and cleared storage, should I return to Amon RA if I want to flash roms or can I use the stock one or just flash with adb (would this help me keep stability in signal etc?)? I have never really used a "stock" recovery.

youll want to reinstall amon for rom flashing. there is obviously some part of the phone that retains info,that gets mixed up when changing firmwares,that custom recoveries are not able wipe(largely becasue we have no idea what/where they are ;)).

the stock recovery is simply able to wipe and clear these partitions and data.

Basically, I get the proceedure for rooting and the like. I can make the motions through ADB and fastboot, especially with instructions in front of me :D
I just don't feel like I get what ROMs are safe to flash from what point (some are only good to flash after you have already flashed an ICS ruu?), and which would be stable. I feel like there is a specific "path" I have to take, like: Stock to rooted stock and s-off then to stock ICS ruu flashed as PH89IMG.ZIP, then then go s-on and flash something like NILs rom, go s-off and flash a kernel.
It seriously looks to me like it is that rediculously complicated. I'm used to rooting, wiping, then flashing whatever rom you want until you find one you like and is stable for you. That's it. You can flash another kernel or radio after, but it is never required and almost never causes problems.
Am I imagining things? Is the method for rooting in your suggested thread more stable or something than the all-in-one tool? Or is it more complicated than I wish it was? Does each rom HAVE to flash an ruu or boot.img afterwards or separately even if you're s-off?
I was reading through the "Best ICS ROM" thread and liked the sound of some of the ones you were talking about there.
I just want stable ICS with light customization options (status bar tweaks, OC and UV is really all I am looking for).
I'm currently on "Stock" ICS 3.14.605.12 (OTA-ICS-Plus v1.1) and data is working fine (and finally not overheating), but I still get the occasional hot boot.

EDIT:
I just got through your How-To flash roms post. Thank you for that. I learned quite a bit there. That may be why I have been having so much trouble flashing.

you shouldnt have any prollems flashing. since you s-offed,your rezound will respond just like your inc2. eveverything you knew there still applies :)

the only things you need to know really,are:
1)ICS and GB use different firmware. i.e. now that youre on ICS,you cant flash a GB rom without either: a)flashing GB firmware or b)flash a special "new fimrware" patch(what the s-on kids do :D)

likewise, if you were on GB firmware,from running an ruu,you couldnt flash an ICS rom without a)installing ICS firmware,or b)flash a "old firmware" patch(what the s on kids did until ICS was official :D)

2)umm... well,thats it really. with s-off being comon place,rom scripts are set up for the kernel to be automatically flashed,so unless youre for some reason installing a really old,lame rom,you dont need any speical processes. no boot flashing,no firmware patches,etc.

just like your inc2,you just:
-download rom
-transfer to sd
-boot to recovery
-nandroid,full wipe,flash
-reboot

3)ok,i thot of one more: newer htc phones have more firmware. open up a PH98IMG sometime and check out all the stuff in there. all this means is that you cannot change the radio withuout changing the rest of the fimware to match it. its not a big deal,if new radios pop up,the downloads will contain firmware as well.

i can easily see why youd be confused with all the different info thats out here now,especially not being around from the start when stupid htcdev was all we had.

I still wonder if I ought to re-root with your method instead of the all-in-one tool, or if there is anything else I am over thinking/under thinking.

i think youre over thinking. the steps are pretty easy,im sure youve got anuff adb skills to work arounf any prollems you find. you might download mini-adb if you dont allready have the sdk set up. but thats really about it... the end result is the same wether youve used the tool or done it manually :)

Upvote 0
Unable to run the latest ruu.exe. The program would recognize the phone and what version it was on and prompted me to update to the newest version and I would click "OK". It would warn me that it was in process and not to discionnect, then when the phone rebooted itself to the black screen with the small HTC in the center the program on the pc states it can't recognize the device stating it either came unplugged or powered off.
Tried DLing twice, checked MD5s, ran it many times starting booted up normally. Tried it in fastboot, it could'nt even start there.
Not sure how to get the latest ruu if all I can find is the exe file. Anyone know how to get an ruu out of the exe?
I googled it and could only find how to get the rom, not the whole ruu.

Upvote 0
sorry for the short answers earlier,i was on my phone at work :eek:

rom.zip is the file that the Rom Updater Utility will flash. it contains all software and firmware,and can be renamed PH98IMG and flashed in hboot from the sd card,or flashed from fastboot with the fastboot flash zip command.

for others reading this,rom.zip is easily extracted by running the utility,then after checking yes to the first screen,simply hide the onscreen utility off to the side and search your C drive for "rom.zip" you will find it in a temporary folder(a different one every time). right click and "open folder location" and you can drag and drop or copy/paste rom.zip to a different location and close out the utility.

as long as the .exe will run there is no advantage to rom.zip,other than being able to extract it and look at its parts :) the .exe files seem to have some sort of magical powers- i have seen them fix bootlooping thunderbolts that used to be written off as bricks,so run the .exe when possible.

if your having issues like atheistrev,then extracting rom.zip is perfectly acceptable.

for thos that dont want to mess with it,im in the process of uploading a 3.14.605.12 PH98IMG to Shipped ROMs

atheistrev,did you get your issues worked out?

Upvote 0
I flashed the .10 zip and am running stuck... er, stock for now. My wife is getting jealous, so I wont be doing much more today. I couldn't get the exe to run properly but was able to get the rom.zip out. I haven't flashed it.
I'm thinking I need to flash a different hboot. I saw something that said I should be seeing junoubear (or whetever) at the top of my hboot screen. I currently see s-off, unlocked and hboot 2.25.0000 or something thereabouts. But nothing from juonoponobear...
Hoping that would take care of those dang hotboots and battery drain.
Thoughts?

Upvote 0
the juopunutbear hboot is a patched hboot that gives you some extra engineering commads,most notably fastboot boot and fastboot flash you can install the hboot if you wish to use these commands,or you can simply unlock your existing hboot(if you dont care about it never saying locked again). but if youre comfortable installing recoveries and firmware as PH98IMG files,then you certainly dont need the jpbear hboot. prolly 99% of the folks running it dont have any idea what advantages it has-just that is says juopunut bear ;)

at any rate,your hboot is matched with your fimrware and is not casueing your reboots.assuming youre not trying to OC too high,or UV to low, i would prolly point the finger at a rouge app

you might try runing the phone with a very small group of core apps that you cant live without for a few days and see if your reboots stop. if they do,start adding the rest of the apps a couple at a time every few days until the phone starts rebooting again.

i also run the stock 2.25 hboot and all the same firmware,and have run the same roms youve tried so far and have not and any issues.

Upvote 0
hmmm...

durn.

I hoped I was on to something.

No overclocking yet, no apps I haven't run for a long time on the DInc2 and or Eris without issues. I had played a bit with chrome but heard recently it was draining battery (and it doesn't work very well with rendering graphics) so I dropped that. My battery use shows around 80% used by the screen which has been set very low all day today and about an hour and a half screen on time. The following items were wifi, voice calls and android system. I started the day with a full charge and put it in airplane mode once I got to work and then turned on wifi since I get no cell reception inside but good wifi. I was down to 14% six hours onto up-time.
Just doesn't match up with what I see people claiming around here. Something is up. I ordered a new battery (1980mAh acesoft) in case that's it. I'll try to find something that can monitor the battery use per process to see if anything is draining otherwise.

Upvote 0
if youre on stock,im not afraid to say 5-6 hours is about all i can get out of it as well. i am a pretty heavy user. i am constantly waking my phone up to check the time,or check email. bluetooth is on usually the entire time,as is 4g,and gps. i usually talk at least 2 hours a day on BT while im driving. i have sync turned on,but do not have any idividual apps or email set to sync any more often than once an hour or so.

ive gotten the best battery ive ever gottn from a sense rom on newts and business 4.0. im not sure what it is about sense 4.0,but it seems a whole lot less power hungry than any other version. i have only gotten this good of battery on my thunderbolt by keeping 4g off,and running cm7.

one thing you might check,is your screen turning off? or is it staying on,but turning black? if so thats not helping the situation.

ive put these in another thread,but i forget wich one :eek: so ill just put them up here also. screenines of my power consumption at the end of the day:

2012-07-19_19-59-15.png

2012-07-15_19-48-51.png

2012-06-27_17-04-03.png

as you can see,voice calls and screen are usually the biggest contributor for mine. that middle one,dont give it too much credit,i think it sat in wifi without me pestering it most of that day(notice 2% voice calls) ;)

i dont actually remember what rom the bottom one is from :eek:

i have been getting 8-10 hours out of viperrez,but keep forgettig to take screenies.

Reactions: obscuro
Upvote 0
i have been getting 8-10 hours out of viperrez,but keep forgettig to take screenies.

I did a lot of battery logging this weekend. Never did flash a new rom, but I played a lot with different system panel apps and tweaks.

My screens look pretty much like yours, I get about 5 hours screen time and 16-18 hours on standby.

Underclocking the CPU didn't seem to make much difference. I used the full version of System Panel to watch live CPU activity, and it seems like the out-of-the-box settings did a better job of keeping the 2nd cpu idle. Using juicedefender or setcpu always seemed to keep the 2nd cpu running at least at 8-10 percent, as other people have mentioned. Underclocking did nothing noticable to battery life and just created lag.

The one thing I have not tried is lowering the screen dpi, in theory reducing that would decrease the screen's draw on the battery, but then you start taking away the benefits you bought the phone for in the first place.

So I'm pretty close to just stopping worrying about it, and springing for the 1900 maH battery from mugen ASAP. Scotty's idea to use an external charger or juice pack sounds good to me, too. Maybe one day soon HTC will acquire the same battery technology Moto used in the RAZR Maxx. :)

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
I just went through and deleted just about everything off the Comprehensive Rezound apk List. We'll see if that helps.

EDIT: That borked it. Starting over again...
Or can I remove the recovery image from the rom.zip (stock) and flash the rom.zip without losing root and Amon?

When you say delete, are you actually deleting or just freezing? I ask because the recommended way to do it is to freeze with Titanium Backup or use Google's Manage Apps to disable. If you delete system apps, you risk not being ready for the OTA unless you go through the RUU process again.

Upvote 0
When you say delete, are you actually deleting or just freezing? I ask because the recommended way to do it is to freeze with Titanium Backup or use Google's Manage Apps to disable. If you delete system apps, you risk not being ready for the OTA unless you go through the RUU process again.

I was deleting. Next time I would use titanium. Makes sense, I'm just not used to having this much trouble with flashing. I used to be wild and free with deleting and flashing mods because it was always so easy to restore.
With my rez, I cant even restore the stock rooted nand I made.

Upvote 0
I was deleting. Next time I would use titanium. Makes sense, I'm just not used to having this much trouble with flashing. I used to be wild and free with deleting and flashing mods because it was always so easy to restore.
With my rez, I cant even restore the stock rooted nand I made.

the rez really isnt any more complicated to mod,tho i guess the device itself is more complex with a 2nd processor and a 2nd radio for LTE. the 3g single core inc2 is alot easier for devs to work on :p

what trouble are you having with your stock nandroid? im sure we can figure that out so youre not so fustrated when trying to mod :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
So I'm pretty close to just stopping worrying about it, and springing for the 1900 maH battery from mugen ASAP. Scotty's idea to use an external charger or juice pack sounds good to me, too. Maybe one day soon HTC will acquire the same battery technology Moto used in the RAZR Maxx. :)

lol the thunderbolt taught me along time ago not to worry about battery life. my solution with it and the rez was to buy some extra batteries and an external charger. i take an extra battery with me every day and pop it in when the first one dies. 2 usually get me thru the day

i should mention that i have an irrational fear of my usb port wearing out,so i dont like to plug my phone in and out several times a day. :eek: just if i need to hook it to the PC,then it gets plugged in at night.

Upvote 0
the rez really isnt any more complicated to mod,tho i guess the device itself is more complex with a 2nd processor and a 2nd radio for LTE. the 3g single core inc2 is alot easier for devs to work on :p

what trouble are you having with your stock nandroid? im sure we can figure that out so youre not so fustrated when trying to mod :smokingsomb:

At this point I don't even remember specifically. I tried a few times and got error messages of some sort. I have since formatted my SD card since it stopped mounting.
I have gone back to stock twice and it runs fine until I root and flash a custom rom. I can't seem to find any rom that doesn't give me data connectivity problems, hot boots and serious battery drain.
I'm typing this while on slimrom and when I started typing I was freshly unplugged and at 100%. Now I'm at 75%(ish) and my phone is HOT. Nothing added to the rom but the phandroid app and screen filter to bring the brightness to a very low level (45% reduced) on auto brightness. My screen eats 80% of battery every rom, every time and I get about an hour and a half of screen time before battery is down to 10%.
I ordered a battery in hopes that helps. Don't know what else to do.

Upvote 0
On the Neomax thread, it says.something about ppl with heat problems can try flashing the kernel that ends in .7 (not the brand new ota, it was a kernel forthe first leak.) But some ppl report WiFi not working for them with.that kernel, so...

Try installing the Battery app and seeing what the battery temp is. I get anywhere between 100-120 degs F after the screen has been on awhile. It bottoms out around 90 when idle. The battery is rated to 140, if u are close to that u may have an issue.

Upvote 0
On the Neomax thread, it says.something about ppl with heat problems can try flashing the kernel that ends in .7 (not the brand new ota, it was a kernel forthe first leak.) But some ppl report WiFi not working for them with.that kernel, so...

Try installing the Battery app and seeing what the battery temp is. I get anywhere between 100-120 degs F after the screen has been on awhile. It bottoms out around 90 when idle. The battery is rated to 140, if u are close to that u may have an issue.

I have monitored my battery temp and it gets in the 120-125 range pretty easily. I know 140 is the "max" but I think regularly getting over 105-110 is uncalled for and unhealthy (for Mr. Battery).

I may try a different kernel or two. This slimrom is as good as any other I have tried yet. Maybe it will like a different kernel. I believe it is currently on the .10, so I could try going backwards or forwards...

I would cross my fingers, but I think I've been doing that wrong too.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
At this point I don't even remember specifically. I tried a few times and got error messages of some sort. I have since formatted my SD card since it stopped mounting.
I have gone back to stock twice and it runs fine until I root and flash a custom rom. I can't seem to find any rom that doesn't give me data connectivity problems, hot boots and serious battery drain.
I'm typing this while on slimrom and when I started typing I was freshly unplugged and at 100%. Now I'm at 75%(ish) and my phone is HOT. Nothing added to the rom but the phandroid app and screen filter to bring the brightness to a very low level (45% reduced) on auto brightness. My screen eats 80% of battery every rom, every time and I get about an hour and a half of screen time before battery is down to 10%.
I ordered a battery in hopes that helps. Don't know what else to do.

on the nandroid... did you make one before flashing slimrom? if so try restoring it and see what happens.

on the battery,i wish i had answers... i keep my screen almost full brightness on manual,i keep sync and gps on all the time. i dont let email sync more often than hourly,but i open it up and doit manually way more often than that. i dont have FB,twitter or any other apps set to sync. if i let it sit in wifi without pestering it,the battery lives forever. im rotating between the stock worn out battery and 2 generic baterys from ebay. mine gets how in the car when its 80+outside and really hot inside the car :eek: in this situation ive seen it get 120*+ if im talking onit,and have it sitting on the seat in the sun

i really have no idea why stock is fine and you have prollems with the custom roms. what is your flashing procedure? what do you wipe? what is your setup process? how do you set various serttings and apps?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones