1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Hot Potato

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Taero, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Taero

Taero Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Cambridge, MA
    I just bought the Captivate a couple of days ago and so far I've been pretty damn pleased with it, however there are a couple of things that I wanted to check were normal or not as they seem a bit odd.

I know about the GPS issue (oddly mine worked fine to 10 meters before suddenly today not being able to find me) and the upcoming Samsung update/rollout (fingers crossed!)

The batter seems to go very quickly to me even with updates turned off etc and I can't see this 12.5 days of standby time it seems to state being anywhere close to true, though I also read about the 3 battery cycles making it better.

My main concern is when I make a phonecall, after about 5-6 minutes the 'earpiece' for lack of a better word, or just the top of the screen gets 'very' hot, I'm talking having to lift my ear away a bit and sweating on the side of my face, I kid you not there was condensation on the screen, is this close to normal or have I got some faulty hardware.

Also twice in the last few days it's gotten stuck in a restarting loop, constantly powering off and then on and then off (going through the annoying loadup whoosh sound in a library).

Anyone else had any of these issues that I've missed on the forum or should I just take it back and ask for a new one.

Advertisement

2. Vtec

Vtec Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Get a new one. Most people have went through 2 or 3 so far just to get a working one. Myself included.

3. born_fisherman

born_fisherman Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    +1 on getting a new one - My first cappy would burn my ear after a 10min call..(not to mention it wouldn't last more than 24hrs even on standby)

4. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    In my experience, turning off live wallpaper and switching to a static image ended up being one of the biggest battery-savers.

5. MassacrMan

MassacrMan Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    I have noticed no difference in battery life with or without a live wallpaper. Infact with one now I have had used my phone a medium amount today on top of having a droid x eye live wallpaper (find it in market, it's awesome!), and after 15 hours of being out of the charger it's only at 44% battery. This is with a new captivate I got yesterday after exchanging my first one. Guess I got a battery that didn't need any breaking in.